Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training without shoulders

Graham Smith

Graham Smith

Well, I've gone and hurt myself again. Sprained my right AC joint falling over on powerisers. Fortunately, and I suspect due to my gymnastics strength, imaging has shown it to be only a grade 1 sprain with no displacement, but none the less, my shoulder needs rest and is out of action probably for another 3 to 4 weeks or so at least. The musculature is fine, but I have strained the tendons and ligaments to a minor degree

Not wanting to excacerbate the problem, I desperately want to get back into training, but don't want to lengthen my recovery time. I cannot do pushups, pullups, nor hold myself in any kind of arm support such as an L-sit until my shoulder recovers. No rings, no P-bars, I can't even sprint as that imparts too much force on the shoulder.

Any suggestions of what I can do? I had been focussing pretty hard on handstands and l-sits. I realise that the handstands are out, but I would very much like to maintain some core strength exercises. Can anyone please suggest some good exercises for me to compile a routine with that will not require the use of my shoulder?

Thanks in advance

Philip Papandrea

Hi,

Upperbody seems to be out for you. You can work your grip though. For Lower body you can do Single Leg squats and Natural leg curls and stuff like that. For your abs you can work the hollow hold except keep your arms down by your sides. Those are a few that just popped in my head, i'm sure there is more stuff. Grease the groove with that stuff. You don't need a structured routine per say. Anyway hope you heal soon and can get back to training.

Phil

Eddie Stelling

If I were you I would not be doing any upper body, even an L-sit. L-sit is a support position, if you aren't allowed to do support positions, you shouldn't do an L-sit. If you have done damage to your shoulder, let it heal and take time off from all upper body. It is not worth 1 month of L-sit training. Focus on legs, core, and walking or stationary biking.

Legs = If you have access to a gym there are a variety of machines you can use for leg training that don't involve the shoulders.

-Leg Press, hack squat machine (the weight is supported at the lower back not the shoulders), leg curls, leg extensions.

-Single leg squats, natural leg curls (as stated above) are great too and can be performed with or without a gym. Do these along with some weight training listed in bullet above.

Core =

-take time to focus on your hollow hold and arch hold! No better time than now to re-visit.

-Also, spend time doing seated L and straddle leg lifts/holds. They suck really bad but will help your L & straddle L alot.

-Leg lifts (back on the floor), oblique crunches on the floor, flutter kicks, crunches, bicycles, in and outs, hollow hold rocks, etc. to name a few exercises.

-One of my favorite routines is the P90x Ab Ripper X routine. Google it and memorize the exercises (11 exercises @ 25 reps each). It will keep that core strong!

-Back extensions, arch ups on the floor

Cardio =

-walk and stationary bike to avoid jarring the shoulder only if its is sensitive and/or if the doctor told you not to run. If you are allowed to run, do that.

* I am nearing the end of my rehab for my TWO shoulder surgeries and have found the above things to do to keep myself in half ass shape over the last 8 months. Thought I would share. Good Luck with recovery.

Graham Smith

Thanks a lot Eddie!

That sounds like exactly what I need. I probably just didn't want to admit it to myself because I suck at all those things, which just implies that they're exactly what I need!

lots of good advice. When i hurt my shoulder i found it very frustrating as i couldn't even hang from a pull up bar without discomfort. Hell i couldn't sleep without discomfort.

What worked for me is the kind of exercises suggested by others here. I focused particularly on Core and Lower back and Flexibility - and general prehab of course once i was ready for it. The exercises i used that didn't agitate my shoulder were:

- Hollow Hold (hands by side)

- Hollow Rocks (hands by side minimum of motion)

- Arc hold (hands by side)

- Arc Rocks (hands by side gentle motion)

- Prone Leg raises

- Windshield wipers (obliques)

-Early progressions of V up with hand down by side and just trying to compress

-A V up progression on drills and skills where you sit with your legs outstretched and lean forward over your legs a bit with

your arms in front of you lightly touching the ground. Then just do mini leg raises in the position. It's actually very hard

because of the compression.

I tried assisted pistols but could not do them due to agitation of the shoulder helping to support the movement. I tried light squating but any weight across my shoulders agitated the injury. In the end i used body weight squats, body weight lunges and body weight calf raises.

Aside from that i focused on hamstring flexibility which i still suck at. Looking back i was more motivated when injured than i am healthy! wish i'd kept up the work ethic :)

Good luck with your rehab bro.

Joshua Naterman

Tons of great advice here. You may be able to perform light horizontal rows without aggravating the injury, but generally you will want to leave the shoulder alone for at least 3 weeks, maybe 4. Sometime around week 2 or so you should be fine for range of motion work, keeping it pain free. When you have full ROM back you should be ready for very light strength work, and from there you will just slowly work back in. You should expect it to be around 12-16 weeks before you are back at full workout capacity, but you will probably be stronger then than you are now if you go through rehab correctly. Take this for what it is: A sign that your rehab approach is excellent and that if you just keep going in small increments you'll make even better gains.

Good luck with your rehab! I am glad to hear the injury is relatively minor.

Eddie Stelling
keeping it pain free
you will just slowly work back in

Probably the most valueable lesson I have learned through all my rehab. Working in a ROM that you can perform pain free! Take your time with it! My therapy is 2 times a week and then I have a seperate routine everyday on my own (homework if you will). Strength training rep schemes at therapy usually follow this pattern for any given exercise:

-2x15 for 2-3 visits

-3x15 for 2-3 visits

-2x20 for 2 visits

-2x25 for 2 visits

-1x30 now moved to maintence mode

-progress to a more difficult exercise

This is referring to mainly internal/external rotational work along with scapular work exercises using bands and nothing more than 2 lb weights. If things were weighted the same progressions (sometimes more conservative depending on pain free or painful ROM) were applied beginning with no weight, then 1 lb weights, then 2lb weights. That is over an entire month to build up reps and progress to something else on something as light as band work. This was simply provided to show you how "nice and slow" Josh is talking about. Honestly it really is how all strength training progresses, in a nut shell.

Graham Smith

Thankyou everyone for all of the solid advice. It is not only immensely useful, but also very motivating. It is too easy to stop all training following an injury or illness, but this forum proves that there is always progressive work that can be done. We are lucky to have this awesome community.

I am focussing on core and leg strength, as well as increasing work towards my splits. This injury has made me realise that I have woeful hip mobility, primarily due to very week hip abductors.

Thanks again.