Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Size as a Factor

RJ Nelsen

I know size (as well as general anthropometry) plays an important role in limiting one's physical abilities, but how much? I have an interest in gymnastics, but at 6'1" and 230 lbs, it's hard for me to get a sense of exactly what's possible. I can already do a 1-arm chin, knock out parallette handstand pushups, and can almost do a front lever, but movements like the planche just seem impossible. I guess what I'm asking is, at this size, what is possible?

Thanks.

Here is a recent topic that may be of interest to you

Is 6ft, 190lbs, and 31 still able to become elite?

And if it counts for anything I think we get too bogged down in what are 'potential' and their is far too much worry of our genetics. Just take all the good advice you can, meet with like minded people if at all possible, train hard and enjoy the progress you make.

I know this is thrown around a lot but its all about the journey not just the destination. :)

I think if you can do a front lever at that height then your height and proportions are possible for the planche too.

John Sapinoso

nothing, quit now.

I've read like 8 billion "My name is Y I'm fairly X, am I too X to do gymnastics?" threads in the last week that are all answered with "hi Y, no you are not too X to do gymnastics, look at Z who is just as X as you are"

All kidding aside, just train and take things slow.

Finnbar, thanks for the input, but that thread has very little to do with me. 190 is a long way from 230, especially since I still have room to fill out. And I think it's very reasonable to ask if these things are possible at my size. I don't want to waste my time training for them if they're simply out of reach. I would just have to ask, how many 230-240 lb men standing over 6' have ever been able to do a correct planche?

Seiyafan, thank you. I've been working on it for a while. It's still with my dominant arm only for now though.

B1214N, I am close to a front lever, but I've been lead to believe those are significantly less difficult than a planche. For what it's worth, I can briefly hold a back lever.

John, you're not being helpful in the least. I'm not some newbie with no training history asking if he's capable of making the Olympics, I'm a well-trained athlete venturing into territory that virtually no one of my dimensions has explored. All I was looking for from this thread was for some feedback on what a larger athlete might be capable of in terms of movements like the planche, iron cross, etc. I was hoping some of the coaches/athletes here might have had some experience in the area. I wasn't looking for a bunch of people to brush me off and tell me to keep training.

Samuel Carr

I understand that this is probably something you're legitimately concerned about and I mean no offense, but could the moderators please just make a sticky saying exactly what John just said?

"hi Y, no you are not too X to do gymnastics, look at Z who is just as X as you are"

All kidding aside, just train and take things slow.

It seems like these threads are popping up every couple of minutes.

John Sapinoso
John, you're not being helpful in the least. I'm not some newbie with no training history asking if he's capable of making the Olympics, I'm a well-trained athlete venturing into territory that virtually no one of my dimensions has explored. All I was looking for from this thread was for some feedback on what a larger athlete might be capable of in terms of movements like the planche, iron cross, etc. I was hoping some of the coaches/athletes here might have had some experience in the area. I wasn't looking for a bunch of people to brush me off and tell me to keep training.

This is the tone I use, granted you're new so you don't know that...you may also be unaware that we get literally 1-2 person thinking they are a unique case, asking some permutation of your question per week (and even a 290 lbs cross and lever video was just posted) and it is answered in the exact same way: "no you're not too x to do gymnastics, look at z they are just as x as you are, train and take things slow"

If you're aim is to use gymnastic exercises to get stronger then follow my advice: don't use your dimensions as an excuse to not train simply because you can't get a skill quickly, train and take things slowly. If you're expecting to be able to get a cross very quickly because you're already an athlete skipping the lower foundation exercises, it's a short road to injury.

Sidenote: I'm fairy sure that one of our moderators is your exact dimensions or bigger.

@ sam, I was going to post a thread in "getting started" saying that exact same thing a few weeks back, but didn't because ironically...I felt like a jerk being the one who said it first :lol:

Scott Malin
This thread may be of interest to you. I will also be adding links to essays for some of the more commonly asked questions in the forum registration welcome email.