Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training limitations from supra/infraspinatus tendonitis?

Ryan Verma

Hey,

I have managed to give myself tendonitis in my shoulder joint and physiotherapists suspect that it is tendonitis in the tendons related to the supraspinatus and infraspinatus.

I have pain during external rotation of the shoulder joint, and in the 70-120 degree range if I raise my arm laterally against pressure. There seems to be some sort of clicking/grinding as well.

My question is - what aspects of gymnastics can I still train while allowing the tendons to recover? I mentioned planches and handstands to the physiotherapist and he said that I should avoid any movement that involves my arm over my head. To this end, he said planches were fine, but handstands were not. For the record, I have no pain during backlevers, muscle ups, tumbling, handstands, planche or front levers. However, iron cross attempts at an angle of 70 degrees or more are painful (I'm pretty sure improper technique is how I caused the damage in the first place).

What sort of stuff would I be safe to keep working on without causing further injury or slowing recovery?

Thanks!!

Niels Joergensen
Hey,

I have managed to give myself tendonitis in my shoulder joint and physiotherapists suspect that it is tendonitis in the tendons related to the supraspinatus and infraspinatus.

I have pain during external rotation of the shoulder joint, and in the 70-120 degree range if I raise my arm laterally against pressure. There seems to be some sort of clicking/grinding as well.

My question is - what aspects of gymnastics can I still train while allowing the tendons to recover? I mentioned planches and handstands to the physiotherapist and he said that I should avoid any movement that involves my arm over my head. To this end, he said planches were fine, but handstands were not. For the record, I have no pain during backlevers, muscle ups, tumbling, handstands, planche or front levers. However, iron cross attempts at an angle of 70 degrees or more are painful (I'm pretty sure improper technique is how I caused the damage in the first place).

What sort of stuff would I be safe to keep working on without causing further injury or slowing recovery?

Thanks!!

I'd suggest you to buy:" Pain free and the trigger point therapy workbook."

Gynmastics focus on scapular protraction in a lot of positions which means tremendous lat, pectoral and shoulder development. pecs and lats internally rotate the shoulders leading to a rounded posture. Stretching is a alright but you will be better off with SMR first IMO. minimum 3 times a day everyday. focus on pecs (pec minor and major), lats, scalene neck muscles, infraspinatus, teres minor and major. external rotations, trap and rhomboid exercises are good too. Slizz has done a video about it that you watch as well.

Don't accept your situation by avoiding certain exercises. fix the problems. Rest will be of temporary relif only. it won't fix the problem

Thanks for the input, gents.

I've decided I'll take the next week off to focus on SMR and stretching to see if I can ease it. I have seen Slizz's video on how to cure shoulder pain and I'll incorporate more of those stretches as well. Hopefully he can come in here and add to the knowledge you guys have given!

Niels Joergensen
Thanks for the input, gents.

I've decided I'll take the next week off to focus on SMR and stretching to see if I can ease it. I have seen Slizz's video on how to cure shoulder pain and I'll incorporate more of those stretches as well. Hopefully he can come in here and add to the knowledge you guys have given!

No problem! I have shoulder issues myself. I don't see why only spending a week on SMR. It takes 5 min of your time a day besides you probably won't see much of a change in just a week. I forgot to include that massaging the supraspinatus and subscapularis will of course also be a good idea! The big problem is if you try to stretch muscles that are tight and inhibited by trigger points will only lead to more frustration and pain. that's why I recommend getting rid of muscle tensions before stretching! Good luck!