Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where to put handstand work?

Rosy

After researching I've ended to this program which is partly self made. Rotation is ABxABxx and all sets are 3x3 aiming for 5x5. Squat and deadlift are rotating so both are once a week.

1min planche progress

1min front lever progress

1min l-sit progress

A

weighted dips

push up variation

dragonflags

B

row variation

weighted pull ups

squat/deadlift (rotating)

Now I'm wondering should I change something? I don't have access to rings so I try to keep it as simple as possible. Also I'm planning to start handstand work but don't know where to put it and what amount of sets we are talking about?

Coach Sommer
Also I'm planning to start handstand work but don't know where to put it

Either before your FSP work or just after, and prior to the FBE work, is fine. Which one to choose is simply a matter of your personal preference.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cheers, this helps alot! :P

About the program itself. I found that slizzardman's pull-up routine and was wondering if instead of those weighted chins I would be doing that, and also would do push-ups with same style, should I still keep dips and rows as 3x3 to 5x5 style? Would really like to progress with pull-ups and push-ups and gain strength on upper body.

Coach Sommer

My personal preference is for you to progress thru the pushups variations, then the dip variations and then the HSPU variations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Erik Sjolin

Does that mean that you should go right to the hardest variation before moving onto another group? Say, planche pushups before dips? Or is being proficient somewhere in the middle of each okay?

Erik Sjolin
Do them parallel buddy. If you can do planche pushup, then level 1 dip is like chewing tofu.

Haha, nowhere near a planche pushup yet, so that tofu is still a little tough for me (though pushups and dips are pretty proficient).

I asked because my handstand pushups have always been with a nasty curve in the upper back and winged scapula. I've gone back to box HeSPUs to try and perfect the motion, but haven't been able to move on again, but if the problem is that the other two aren't built enough, then I'm fretting over lack of foundation (as well as flexibility, position and strength. Derp).

Joshua Naterman
Do them parallel buddy. If you can do planche pushup, then level 1 dip is like chewing tofu.

Haha, nowhere near a planche pushup yet, so that tofu is still a little tough for me (though pushups and dips are pretty proficient).

I asked because my handstand pushups have always been with a nasty curve in the upper back and winged scapula. I've gone back to box HeSPUs to try and perfect the motion, but haven't been able to move on again, but if the problem is that the other two aren't built enough, then I'm fretting over lack of foundation (as well as flexibility, position and strength. Derp).

Are they actually winging or are you just so lean that you see the border of the scapulae when you move?

If winging is the issue, you're going to want to work on serratus anterior. Elbow plank push ups, with the elbows literally under the shoulders, are a great way to keep these specific to serratus. It's like a scapular push up that removes the elbow joint from the equation, forcing 100% of the movement to be in the scapular and thus serratus has to do 100% of the work.

There is some straight arm dumbbell work I have been making up that seems to help this a lot as well.

There is no sense in trying to add extra joint movement to the shoulder if the scapula isn't even moving properly, which is why I have decided to just work on elbow plank push ups for a while... my right side doesn't work correctly yet and thus I am not ready for push ups. This is a valuable insight I have had recently.

ERIK: Go to Graduate Studies, there is a more complete reply there for you. I put my preferred progression for movement complexity there so you have something to work with. It's a good start :)