Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My shoulder flexibility does not improve

Jhaek

As my goal is to open my shoulders when I do handstands,I work alot on my shoulder flexibility but it doesnt progress even a bit and Im starting to get frustrated.My shoulder routine is like :

3-4 minutes cardio to get the body warmed up

cat stretch on a box 3 sets x 10 sec

hands on the floor with fingers backwards and forwards 2 x 10sec

doorframe stretch 1x10sec

slizzardman's fix your shoulder pain exercises 1 set x10sec

then I start doing my workout which is :

3x10sec Handstand (stomach to wall)

3x10 sec adv.tucked FL

after that I start doing dynamic stretches

4 x shoulder dislocates(normal & dorsal grip)

4 x wall extensions(I do them on the floor and I actually hold the "surrender" position for about 30 secs)

after Ive finished those I do a cool down:

cat stretch on a box 3 sets x 10 sec

hands on the floor with fingers backwards and forwards 2 x 10sec

doorframe stretch 1x10sec

slizzardman's fix your shoulder pain exercises 1 set x10sec

Also when I do the cat stretches on a box I feel very very light stretch and I cant push further...My shoulders dont make any progress...Please help!

Joachim Nagler

Your stretching times are too short. Muscles start to be responsive to passive stretches after 20-30 sec. So that would be your minimum time. Get into a position where you feel a light strain and stay there for 30 sec or longer till the position is comfortable and then stretch a little bit further and repeat. That should be more effective than sets of 10 sec.

so your saying that instead of doing sets of 10 i should do sets of 30?also I have read that more than 15 seconds of static stretch is bad for people who are still growing up(im still 15 years old) is that true?

Joachim Nagler

i wouldn't think of it as sets. just like i said, get in a position where you feel a light strain and stay there. After some time the strain goes away and it becomes comfortable ( but 30 sec minimum). Then immediately stretch a little bit further till you feel the strain again and repeat this 2 or 3 times.

I have never heard of that... But think of all the young gymnasts. They stretch well before your age and it doesn't seem to do them any harm.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

IMO, i think your stretching times are very short....

BUT! remember, that stretching too much before working out is not the best think you can you... personally, what i do, is, when i finish working out, i make a little amount of mobility stuff for cooling down, and then, i take a shower, after the shower, i begin to stretch, deep passive stretches, going from 25- 35 secs, in a mini routine, that i make twice...

Greetings

Joachim Nagler

yeah, that's correct! forgot to mention it. before and after your workout 10s as a warm-up and cool down are the best thing to do.

The real stretching takes place another time of the day. I like to stretch in the evening in front of the TV where you have a lot of time and otherwise before i go to bed, but that are just my preferences.

Flexibility is a slow process. If it's not something you have already been doing for years don't push too hard. Try to have an active component in the stretching. In other words don't just lie there but try to figure out how you actually move into the position this will pay dividends in the future.