From Gym to Gymnastics

Started by Rosy, March 13, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,633 Views

Rosy

Hi, new face right here! :wink:

I used to do all kind of sport as kid, but then came computer and all exercise was forgotten. I still didn't gain weight, was just in really bad shape. Then I found gym but it took some time to fell love with it. Last autumn spark got lighted up and ever since I've been working out hard. Almost half a year later I now weight 75kg, bench the same, squat 120kg and lift 150kg.

Then I found this site and started to get interested with the idea of being able to do something that looks nearly impossible. Also I love when you got to see the results and actually progress. I trained at the gym really strength based workouts and focused on big lifts. I'm reading the book and understand the basics but still fail to start somehow. I just feel that I don't know what to do or where to begin. In bodybuilding and powerlifting there are routines and they are pretty easy to follow, just add more weight when it feels too easy. I don't know if it's me but I just fail to find any kind of beginner routines and don't know when to move on next move or so.

I'm used to workout 4 days a week with a push/pull cycle and I'm able to use pull-up bad and dip station but don't have those gymnastic rings yet. Plan to get them soon though. I still want to get somehow ripped on summer, all I really need now is lose some fat. Is it also achievable with this? My main focus is to build strength and physique that can do the impossible.

So I think my question is, are the some kind of routines what I could follow easily but still find it challenging and develop? I just don't feel comfortable to do my own routine as I'm starting and almost everything is new.

Hope you understand and can help. Thanks!

Michael Miskelly

If your looking for a program to follow with workouts set out for you then go to the Workout of the Day (WOD) section of the forum. If you can't do the prescribed workout then use the book to scale back the movements to your level. Either that or look up killroy's routine and follow that, most beginners seem to like his method. Here is the link:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1957

I still want to get somehow ripped on summer, all I really need now is lose some fat.

If you are looking to get shed fat then you will need to work towards that. Doing more strength work wont strip the fat off so you may want to add HIIT sessions if this is your main goal.

Rosy

So did I got this right?

MONDAY: Warm-up, planche training 7-10 sets + horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE

TUESDAY: Warm-up, BL training 7-10 set + curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations (RTO dips, etc..) FBE

WEDNESDAY: Rest

THURSDAY: Warm-up, FL training 7-10 set + pullup and HeSPU variation FBE

FRIDAY: Warm-up, handstand training 7-10 sets + multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

SATURDAY: 30 minutes of stretching

SUNDAY: Rest

Add wrist and joint stuff on every morning and we are good to go? Is warm-up 60 seconds of each or 3x60 seconds of each? And how much I do sets and reps for FBE? And how about doing WOD instead of those FBE killroy70 did after the static training?

I feel like this site is lacking beginner programming for real.

Vincent Stoyas

This site does not lack beginner information, I came as a complete beginner too. There's just so much information you'll probably need to spend a great deal of time famaliarizing yourself with what's here.

Anyways, here's a good STICKY thread containing how to structure your workout,

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5265

The proposed workout you're showing doesn't show much detail at all with the progressions. Do you own the book or do you already know which progression you're at?

Rosy

I own the book. I did some research and would like to know what you think about this routine. Would be 3 times a week Monday/Wednesday/Friday the same workout but with progress.

- warmup

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s parallel bar support

60s chin up grip dead hang

- 10x6s planche variation

- 1x1-5 ppp variation

- 1x5 easier pushups

- 1x5 pistol squat hard

- 1x5 pistol squat easy

- 10x6s frontlever variation

- 1x1-5 pull-up variation

- 1x5 easier pull-ups

- 10x6s l-sit variation

- 1x1-5 dragonflag variation

- 1x5 easier dragonflags

Would you change something?