Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tendinosis in wrist

Joachim Nagler

Joachim Nagler

Hey guys,

first of all great board, been lurking awhile and am now seeking help in my first post :)

It started in the end of November when i felt a little pain in my wrist during handstand. I didn't stop training immediately (could hit myself for that) and the pain got stronger. Around Christmas i stopped training but it didn't get better. So i went to a doc, who send me to MRI, where they found that i had a tear in the disc in the joint. The doc then prescribed me a wrist brace but the pain didn't go away so he send me to a hand surgeon with the possibility of surgery. Today i had my appointment but the doc said that it probably isn't a tear and that i don't need surgery since i can use my hand in daily life and only feel pain if my hand is bended backwards (like in push-up position) and pressure is put on it. He said that it's a inflammation and suggested further rest.

But I've been resting for quite some time and haven't seen any improvement. Now, the diagnosis is called tendinosis i believe, but i didn't find anything about it on the board, only about tendinitis. So my question is: What can i do to heal my joint?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Germany

JN

Larry Roseman

Actually there was a long discussion about this recently.

Pretty much rest, heat/ice, massage and soft tissue work like graston can help

if it can reach the area.

Joachim Nagler

I'm sorry if i brought up a closed subject.

Maybe I've missed the discussion completely because all i found was advise on tendinitis and i think my condition is now somewhat chronic because after 3 weeks of wearing the brace it isn't gone. Or is the advise the same?

Thank you for your help, this is pretty much what I'm doing right now. Should i do some light strength work in addition? Something like the wrist-roller slizzardman showed in one of his videos?

I don't think he meant it in a derogatory way.

The terminology for tendonopathy (tendon problems) is slowly changing. It used to all be lumped under tendonitis the -itis refers to inflammation.

Now longer lasting cases are being called tendonosis -osis meaning an abnormal state.

The important thing is you don't take NASIDs with an -osis. Movement is good, eccentric loading is also thought to be good, test isn't always, but working very conservatively )not pushing, absolutely don't' work into pain, with the exception of eccentrics where a little pain MAY be good) generally is.

Joachim Nagler

Oh, i also didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I really meant that i was sorry if i missed a recent discussion about this very topic!

yeah, that's the definition i figured, so I don't take any NASIDs.

I'm not sure what it really is since the doc said it is an inflammation, but i also read that many docs don't know the difference. And I've had it for some time now, so i think i go with -osis.

What do you mean by "test"? What weight should i use for the eccentric loading? Do you think i can do pulling movements?

I know, many questions, but the movement-part is the one I'm confused about ;)

Sorry that was a typo it should have been REST. In other words complete rest for an extended time is not the answer either unless there is something else going on. It can be a challenge to get the right balance of both rest and work and how hard to work, personally I try to err on the conservative side. Thankfully wrists are very resilient, and most likely will heal and you'll forget it ever happened.

There are no short cuts, this should be the new GB slogan!

I don't know what it is about the IC, people don't understand how brutal it is. Even with my low level yoga strength group, when it's ring day there will always be someone who tries to play with it. I'm very stern on this one and immediately stop them and make a point not even to joke about the IC.

EDiT: The dangers of posting on an empty stomach, this was meant to go into an entirely different thread.

Nic Branson

Everyone thinks they can until either they get or they watch someone get injured trying it.

Set the rings just under their shoulder height an inch or two, extend into a standing IC and push down when their feet don't move they start to get the point.

Joachim Nagler

Thanks for your help!

But I'm not even remotely close to even think of an iron cross! I never tried it because i totally understand how important it is to lay a solid foundation. I actually got my rings after the injury occurred. Personally i think that i got it from Wall Runs which i did two times a week for 3-4 weeks or so before i first felt the pain. But it seems that was too much, so i definitely need to strengthen my wrists before i try that again!

Nic Branson

Take your time. I tore the tendon sheathing in my right hand flipping my mountain bike and crashing. Depending how bad it is you might need a year or so of rehab. This may sound silly but if you can sleep with oven mitts on.

When you do start training again stick to a rule of 80%. Never exceed that for a few months. No testing max holds or anything on that wrist.

Joachim Nagler

My plan is to try a mixture of rest, eccentric work, massage and heat and see how it develops...

Once the pain is gone i will veeeeery slowly ease back into training! I've learned it the hard way to listen to my body ;)

Sounds good. Also this little mobility set has been helpful for many.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5960

My apologies, I was posting yesterday on an empty stomach, the Iron Cross reference was meant for a different thread altogether.