Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forearm pain when doing planche

Alan Schurr

Alan Schurr

I've recently started the tuck planche and right after I finish the planche I feel a sudden pain in my forearms and shoulders, lasting about a second. I'd never felt anything quite like it before, but as long as I slowly took the weight off my hands I wouldn't feel any pain, so I wasn't too concerned about it. Now I'm thinking that was premature, as I've noticed I'm experiencing the same pain after gripping any moderately heavy objects, as well as wrist pain. So I've decided to stop working on my tuck planche for a while, but I'm wondering for how long?

I can hold a back lever tuck and L-sit PB tuck for a minute, and I think I can hold a front lever tuck for at least 30 seconds, although I haven't timed myself. My original plan was to work on advancing through the progressions for those three, while just staying on the planche tuck. If I stop doing the planche for a few weeks can I resume doing it, or should I cut the planche entirely until I've gotten further with the other exercises? My first SSC cycle finishes at the end of March.

should I cut the planche entirely until I've gotten further with the other exercises?

Yes.

If you'll continue with planche work, then quite interesting things are going to happen with your forearms and it will carry on for a long long time.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem 8 months ago when I started working on Tuck Planche and Human Flag, so I just dropped them out of the training regime.

Now I've started again though, and the problem persists. I'm at about 8 Tuck Planche Push Ups, and 20sec Tuck Planche Holds, the problem though, is that I feel tiny warning signs occationaly in my left arm. I've read through lots of forumposts over these last months, but all I seem to find on the topic are fragments.

-Ricebucket

-proper wrist warmup

-gyrotwister training

-grip strenght (CoC)

-focus on Planche Leans

Even though I've been doing these for a month or so, I can't really rid myself of the pain, which causes me to stop the exercise immediately and rest for several days. Anything else I am missing? Any skills that should be mastered first?

If it's relevant, my Floor L-sit max is just below a minute, and Bar Back Lever on about 15secs.

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers to what I can work on.

Thanks in advance :)

Joshua Naterman

Do you train planche leans?

Have you done the planche pre-requisites?

Are you focusing on planche more than other things or is it a part of what we would consider a balanced training program?

How is your back lever (palms down)?

Did you go through advanced frogstand before tuck planche?

Can you climb rope without using your legs?

Yes, and I've kept Planche Leans and Tuck Planche traning as a rather minor part of the program for the month I've been doing planches. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the planche-requisites, do you mean general gymnastic static positions etc?

If you mean those described by Blairbob here; viewtopic.php?t=4313&f=18 - All of them are in the 1min+ range, except freestanding handstand, which I haven't mastered at all. One Armed Wall Handstand, HS Wall Runs and Cast Wall walk aren't too challenging though, so I don't know what the problem is there either. Maybe it's linked to weak wrists? Finger-strength for balance perhaps?

Back Lever Palms down on Bar is 20sec Straddle, 10sec Full Back Lever, and about 15sec Half Tuck on Rings.

I only did advanced frogstand a few times before moving on, but I was in the 1min+ range.

Yupp, up, down and up again without break, 15ft rope

Thanks again for reply :)

I think I'll take a few steps back, work on Advanced Frogstand properly again for a few weeks and see how that works out.

You have to learn to slowly release the tension from the forearms. That's all I'm going to say and I hope you can figure out the rest by yourself. I found that this combined with lots of sleep and stretching/novel movements are the solution for this problem.

Joshua Naterman

I can't say 100%, but it sounds like the basic strength side of things should be ok. You probably need to roll and stretch your hands and arms all the way up to and through the shoulders. GO in that direction, not from the shoulders down.