Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Turning 20... maybe too old for iron cross?

Alexis Solis

Alexis Solis

Since you can only start iron cross work after you are proficient with the exercises of BtGB and you'll have to have a proper elbow preparation, like this...

Elbow Preparation Series for Iron Cross Work:

1) XR support hold - Focusing on elbows locked and straight is critical here.

a) It is also quite acceptable to insert both XR support swings and XR swinging supports into this phase. 10 repetitions of large XR swinging supports can be especially challenging, as well as a lot of fun , while struggling to maintain the correct position.

2) XR L-sit.

3) XR 1/2 press - During this element, the athlete will press up as high as possible into a half press HS maintaining completely locked elbows and rings turned out at all times. Do not attempt to press higher than it is possible for you to maintain the correct arm/elbow position. Please note that this is an essential element in this progression.

4) XR HS - There should be a substantial degree of pressure on the biceps during a correctly performed XR HS. If this pressure is not present, in all likelihood either the elbows are bent or the rings are not turned out.

5) XR Planche variations - Some individuals may find that they are physically strong enough to proceed directly from XR HS work to the iron cross training as planche training can be a time consuming proposition. However for those who see it through, achieving a solid planche prior to beginning serious iron cross work will pay substantial dividends in the long term.

6) XR Iron Cross work.

... but I'm wondering... since I'm turning 20 this year... realistically speaking, am I never gonna get my iron cross? How about a maltese? I want to be able to do a maltese so badly! I really, really, seriously want it! :cry: :cry:

note:

I'm currently working with number 2... lol. Also, my hardest variation of planche is Tuck Planche (10 seconds max) on PB, and my hardest variation of the BL is Adv. Tuck. (15 seconds).

Thanks for the replies!

-Alex

Alexis Solis

Also, would it be good to start training the iron cross with very little weight? Say dumbbells of 8-10 lbs. each? No? :D:D

Of course you're not too old for iron cross. You just need to keep training.

Since you can only start iron cross work after you are proficient with the exercises of BtGB and you'll have to have a proper elbow preparation, like this...
You do not need to be proficient with the BTGB elbow prep exercises to start cross work, but it is best to be proficient with those exercises as your transition to the iron cross would be faster and less likely to be injured and not to mention the benefits those prep exercises give. People can start iron cross work without proficiency in the mentioned exercises as the elbow, tendons, and muscles will be strengthened from cross work scaled to your level, although you will have to be more careful because injury is more likely to occur without proper elbow prep and progress will be slower.
... but I'm wondering... since I'm turning 20 this year... realistically speaking, am I never gonna get my iron cross? How about a maltese? I want to be able to do a maltese so badly! I really, really, seriously want it!

A maltese has even more stress on the elbows than an iron cross and is a more disadvantaged position.
Also, would it be good to start training the iron cross with very little weight? Say dumbbells of 8-10 lbs. each? No?
Yes, you can start doing iron cross dumbbell pulls with your body upside down and make sure you feel ok with your elbows. It would certainly help build muscular and connective tissue strength for the iron cross although I recommend building a base with the BTGB prep exercises.

Umm, it was within the last year or so but I thought Coach Sommer posted up a video of some 50 year old guy doing IC on youtube.

ZZyWHcpAnSw

Thread <--Blairbob mentioned

And as for my own input, I think with proper, careful, dedicated work an Iron cross is well within reach.

'Make haste, slowly' :P

Alexis Solis

And as for my own input, I think with proper, careful, dedicated work an Iron cross is well within reach.

'Make haste, slowly' :P

Me watching the video:

Video starts... :( -----> :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: -------> :lol::lol::lol: faith restored! 8) 8)

Thanks a lot!

-Alex

age & s_ex are usually nice excuses to not get started with ring training or gymnastics,

but are totally irrelevant when you combine:

strong will + persistence + doing the right exercises/actions/methodology = success (if you do those long enough)

i started after 20,

and i saw, and helped train, many men which are older then me(23), and many women,

and can tell you definetley that age or s_ex doesn't matter,

many women, afraid to train on it, because of what others will think of them, because this is a mens apperatuse,

or that it will give them a non feminine body after training on it for some time,

but they can actually achieve phenomenal results with it, also with doing circles and flairs on mushroom, p bars,

maybe not the same hard core stuff that men do on it, like crosses( i think because of the bones,or joints , not because of muscles),

but they can do pretty difficult stuff, that other untrained men even can't do

you can definetly be able to do an iron cross if you train seriously on it and don't give up too soon,

especially if you are close to achieving it, don't give up, this is where you need to push yourself forward

wish you great success in it!

Alexis Solis

strong will + persistence + doing the right exercises/actions/methodology = success (if you do those long enough)

wish you great success in it!

Indeed that's the formula fellas! Thanks a lot for the great wishes. I wish the same thing to all of you. Remember that the most important thing is not getting to your goal, but enjoying the journey towards it. :lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed that's the formula fellas! Thanks a lot for the great wishes. I wish the same thing to all of you. Remember that the most important thing is not getting to your goal, but enjoying the journey towards it. :lol::lol:

Couldn't agree more, a lot of truth to that.