• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WOD Frequency

Martin Schulz

Martin Schulz

Hey Guys,

I have a question concerning the WODs:

Isnt it true that as you get more advanced, your muscles can handle more work volume than they could before to grow stronger.

For example, I know someone who has been training for 10 years straight and he works on his pullup variation 3 times a week.

Now, the WODs are set to a certain volume level. But to make faster/better gains for an advanced trainee, isnt it better to work some muscles more often? And how can you tweak the WODs to do so effectively? Or do you think it is not advisable to use the WODs after a certain level of volume one can handle?

For me, one example is that there is one leg strength day per week in the WODs. But I think I could train them twice a week (and legs are also a focus for me atm)

Id like to hear your thoughts

Martin

Gastar, the GBWOD is used by Coach Sommer's athletes and as an All-in-1 program for fitness enthusiasts.

For his gymnasts, they are in the gym 2-4 (maybe 4.5 or 5h) a day. So it's in addition to all their event work and basics work. Basically they are tumbling or vaulting every day and hit a few of the apparatus a day. So they are already doing a fair amount of leg and upper body/core work per day. So the GBWOD fills in the blanks. They need to cover their bases and the GB WOD allows for them to do that.

For fitness enthusiasts, the GB WOD is sort of tailored to not a huge block of time for the fitness enthusiast. If you just do the GBWOD with a short WU, you can probably be done in 30-45 minutes. So it's meant to be well-rounded but doesn't require 2+ hours per workout. You pretty much end with 1 ring strength/basic strength workout per week, a leg day, maybe a HS day, and a dynamic push or pull upper body day. Sometimes you get ring strength and basic strength in the same week and sometimes you get both pull/push dynamic days.

Think of the Dynamic Effort days like WS DE days. Use the progressions at somewhere in between 55-75% of max. Think of the Ring Strength and Basic Strength as MaxEffort days.

The best I could come up with is Day 1 being Ring Strength/Basic Strength and Day 2 being a Dynamic Push or Pull and then just tacking on HS/Lower body days on them as well or perhaps on a W/Sa if you do Day 1/2, 3/4 as MTuThF. Honestly, I would rather tack on the Lower body days to Day 1/2 and keep that We/Sa for maybe just HS work and stretching. 5-6 days straight just is rough.

For a beginner/intemediate you can just use something like Killroy70 or a linear program such as the modifid PTTP specified in the book.

It's very possible to train 2x/day as evidenced by the Bulgarians (and they often trained up to 5 or 6x/day though some of them used a Ballbreaker program and others would modulate volume and intensity intuitively). Yes, they used anabolics and it beats them to hell. 2 a days is very doable once built up as evidenced by multiple programs such as the China and US ( dunno about the Soviets or EasternEuros ).