Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do Muscle-up Transitions transfer strength to arm wrestling?

Brian Li

Hey guys, I have noticed that the MU transition motions look very similar to the basic arm wrestling motion especially the wide grip MU transitions. Do you guys think if there are any strength transfers between the two moves? What muscles are used during the basic arm wrestling motion, I heard that it is from the pecs (according to wikipedia) or from the rotator cuff?

Daniel Burnham

Probably not that much. I can do a wide grip muscle up very slowly with little forward lean but can't beat a guy who can barely do a muscle up very close to his body.

Number one by far is technique. Arm wrestling is not just a mindless match of brute strength, there is a ton of technique involved. A significantly weaker individual can easily beat a stronger opponent with technique.

As far as muscles/body part though it is definitely wrists...arm wrestling is all about strong wrists. Control the wrist and you can make your opponent your chew toy. Another important muscle group is your back. A strong back is pretty important as it provides something called back pressure during an arm wrestling match. An interesting note is that a lot of the guys in the lower weights classes (below 170 lbs.) can also do one arm chinups.

But wrists are the most important, the top guys have insane forearm/wrist strength.

wrist_curling_360.jpg

This is Steve Phipps he is a world champion many times over and that in the picture is 360 lbs. for wrist curls.

If anything it probably just helps elbow/arm strength. Dillon remarked that apparently some of his BJJ group he trains found it harder to armbar him and he was thinking it was due to straight arm rings strength (he can do maltese).

So maybe it'll help against another non-pro at arm wrestling but more than likely any arm wrestling pro will best you since they focus on using their entire body in arm wrestling besides angles, technique, etc.

Yeah I definitely agree that technique and wrist strength are the most important in arm wrestling, but how about just the basic arm wrestling motion (rotating the humerus medially) without flexing the wrist and not technique moves like the arm hook? Or is there always some sort of technique going on when doing that basic motion?

Daniel Burnham

Im sure the strength gained in a good muscle up would be beneficial and give you an advantage over an equally untrained person of the same weight. However, this carry over is somewhat limited. You picked the muscle up because it seemed to be a close movement to the motion in arm wrestling and this is true to a degree. A muscle up is closer in specificity than say a pushup and would have a better carry over than that exercise. If you really wanted to get better at arm wrestling I wouldn't train with a muscle up, nor is it a good indicator of whether you can beat someone. The best way to train is the most specific, which, in this case, would be using an arm wrestling machine or finding a friend who will let you do reps on them. This, combined with a lot of forearm strength for the arm hook technique, would benefit arm wrestling the most.

I will say that my gymnastics training has made me harder to beat but I don't know that I can contribute this a gain in my muscle up over just getting stronger all over. Gymnastics training tends to have pretty good carryover to other sports.

Oh I was just wondering if there would be any carry over from one to another. Yeah I agree that to be better at arm wrestling, you must train specifically for it and practice arm wrestling and its techniques. Speaking of exercises that are similar to arm wrestling, another exercise is one of the rotator cuff exercises that people do with a dumbbell.

Oh I was just wondering if there would be any carry over from one to another. Yeah I agree that to be better at arm wrestling, you must train specifically for it and practice arm wrestling and its techniques. Speaking of exercises that are similar to arm wrestling, another exercise is one of the rotator cuff exercises that people do with a dumbbell.

Internal rotation.

Finger, wrist and overall grip/forearm strenght is crucial here. However, the greater part of the body involved, the bigger the force produced. If you're able to engage your deltoid(mainly anterior and rotator cuff muscles), lats and pectorals properly, you'll surely dominate your oponent. Technique is huge factor here, but technique alone is nothing. Same goes for pure brute strength. Coupling them together is the real deal.