Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Front pulls vs FL static

triquetrum

Hey guys, quick question:

I noticed today that I can do 3 reps of front pulls into the full lay position but I can barely hold a 5 second adv tuck FL (I am supposed to be doing only tuck FL SSC but today ego got the better of me). Is this normal? Is the front pull manageable because I'm only in the front lever for a split second?

Either way, would it be a bad idea to start integrating full lay front pulls into my workout even though my static SSC is only at a tuck FL? Given that I don't jump headfirst into it and start busting out rep after rep every workout.

Were you pulling with locked arms or bent arms? There is a big difference in strength requirements between locked and bent and it is completely possible to front pull in full lay position with bent arms and even slightly bent arms before having the strength to hold a full front lever. It takes at least a couple seconds hold from a specific position (tuck, adv tuck, straddle, etc.) to have the strength to do a correct front pull with that position. Based on your current strength levels you will not be able to front pull with locked arms in straddle-full lay position. The full front pulls you are doing may help with strength but it is better to use the ones you can actually do with locked arms which should be tucked and I suggest continue doing your holds and negatives and maybe add some tuck front lever rows and some scaled yewkis. If you could hold 5 seconds adv tuck then you could probably do 1 rep of adv tuck front pull with locked arms.

It was definitely with straight arms.

Is it possible that I could have been able to do it because I was piking? I don't have a camera to record myself, but it might be that my hips were sagging. I have only ever tried the flat tuck FL after my rounded tuck FL SSC, so I don't know how I am with the flat tuck when I'm fresh.

Thanks for the information, though. Very helpful. I'm just going to assume my hips were sagging. The thing I hate about all these levers is that its really hard for one to check oneself without a mirror or camera. I need to start asking strangers at the park to help me out :D

I also got a little curious because I stumbled upon a video by Slizzardman from 2009 where he demonstrates front pulls and front lever pulls. However, in a video from 2010, titled "statics 19", I noticed that he only did flat tuck FL's.

Hmm that's strange, front pulls should be harder than static holds, well for me. I'm guessing like you said that it could be piked or you might just have very strong abs or you probably had some momentum going on. You can tilt your head forward to check your form. FL pulls are also an exercise to help with your front lever development although I've hardly ever done those so I'm not sure how much they would help. How's your pulling strength?

Hmm that's strange, front pulls should be harder than static holds, well for me. I'm guessing like you said that it could be piked or you might just have very strong abs or you probably had some momentum going on. You can tilt your head forward to check your form. FL pulls are also an exercise to help with your front lever development although I've hardly ever done those so I'm not sure how much they would help. How's your pulling strength?

I tested the pulls again, today. Turns out I am piking. Haha, I should "research" a little more before I create posts. I can only front pull with correct form in an advanced tuck.

Thank you for the information!