Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shooting pain in Upper Hip. Any streches for it?

Cjm519

If I stand or bend over a certain way I get a really sharp shooting pain in my upperhip/lowerback. I did some research but anytime i use the word "hip" people think like below the waist. I am referring to just above the waist on the side of my body. deep in my tissue and even slightly my lower back. Its area like right between the top of my Glutes and the bottom of my lower back. If you lean back as far as you can without bending your knees, and move side to side, its those muscles you feel in your hips during this movement. Or if you stand straight up. Try keeping your legs and straight, torso forward and bend over sideways. That area where it pinches is where I get the pain and I just keep trying different stretches but i can't seem to hit it. I could only hit the area right below it (where my leg connects to my hip)

http://www.eorthopod.com/images/Content ... cles02.jpg

In this image you see the curve between the butt and the lower back. My pain is right in the crease of that, only more towards the side of my body not so much my body.

Ive tried alot of Kelly starett's stretches and they all seem to hit right below it and not actually on it. I'm at a bit of a loss and its really uncomfortable at times. If i stand straight and bend sideways at the hip, keepinng my torso pointed forward, I can hit the area but not sufficiently enough to strentch it. Please help! :lol::lol:

Aaron Griffin

Don't stretch injuries. That's all sorts of bad. Rest the hip, toss some ice on it, take some pain reliever, and for Pete's sake, see a doctor if it lasts too long

Feels weird answering my own question but I found what I was looking for and I want to leave this as a resource for anyone who may search this forum in the future.

Proper stretching is not always bad if the injury is muscles and not connective tissue. Use it to warm the area and promote circulation. Really is mobility work more then stretching. Ice is not always a good thing, can slow healing by decreasing circulation and even increase pain by causing more tightness. Use mainly to alleviate excessive swelling.

Gluteus Medius and I are old friends, strained mine pretty bad when powerlifting. Hope your recovery goes well. Check your IT bands on both sides thoroughly also please.

Thanks Canthar. I will begin doing some research on my IT bands. As far as the gluteus medius issue goes I modified one of the stretches shown in the video i posted and had amazing results. It really hits exactly where i was trying to get and loosens me up enough to be completely pain free for a solid couple hours.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but if you take one of those thick elastic bands (the ones commonly used for pullup assistance, and wrap it around a object on the floor, then place one leg through it so it is pulling parallel, basically its pulling your hip towards your crotch, then do a lunge, tighten your butt and really lean over and into it and I hit head on.

I stretch my right IT band and do Single Leg DL with or without a DB. I'll also lay on my side and do side leg raises or leg circles with that leg to loosen it up besides scorpion twist stretches or lying leg wipers.

I'm pretty sure I get it on my right because I split jerk on my right besides being right lunge dominant in tumbling.

Split Jerk is a classic for doing that to one side. Add a few split squats for the other side from time to time. You could split jerk reverse for even better balance but I'm not a fan of throwing off the neural technique unless you're already very good on your dominant side.