Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPU, elbows in or out?

irongymnast

In the HSPU, should the elbows be in or out? Out is easier because of the force contributed by the lats I think.

Also, which is easier to do in freestand (edit: I mean balance-wise)?

Aaron Griffin

I'm pretty sure flared elbows is "easier" but also has higher potential for shoulder impingement injuries. Elbows tucked in is better. At least, these are the rules for overhead barbell pressing. I can't do one freestanding, but I imagine tucked elbows are easier as it gets close to an elbow lever position

yuri marmerstein

elbow in for sure.

especially if your goal is to do full ROM freestanding HSPU you are going to have a difficult time flaring your elbows out

Aaron Griffin
especially if your goal is to do full ROM freestanding HSPU you are going to have a difficult time flaring your elbows out

However, the athletes in the BtGB book do seem to have their elbows flared out. I just checked...

Aaron Griffin
on what apparatus, and in what position? Are the pushups freestanding?

Looking at the ebook now. Notably the HeSPUs (box, negative, and elevated) seem to use flared elbows. Admittedly, these are done against a wall or support, but I'd expect a break from proper form should be avoided here. Freestanding HeSPU has elbows tucked, though. The ring HSPU (using straps) also flares the elbows, making the pictures look a lot like the Bulgarian HSPUs in the next progression. Almost everything else has elbows tucked (Bulgarian variations excepted)

Joshua Naterman

Regardless of what you are seeing, you want the elbows tucked. Even when you are down low, this makes things harder for most people, because it requires the shoulders to move through quite a lot more ROM and because it forces the parts of the shoulder that most people are lagging behind on (upper traps, mid delts) to work the hardest. This transfers into much greater overall ability later on, but at first will be humbling.

Phrak, this has been discussed before without any definitive answer from the higher ups.

If anything, it could be considered a beginner step but no one really knows why it was done in that fashion in the book. It just was. Some variations go elbows in, others elbow out. Maybe to balance out development. :?:

yuri marmerstein

Without having to balance most people end up doing elbows out.

but like I said, good luck trying to do an elbows out freestanding HSPU

Plus that it is a much more stable shoulder position, I always teach elbows in pushups

Aaron Griffin

I'm bringing this up because I made the mistake of learning elbows out at first. When I realized they needed to be tucked to move to freestanding, I had to essentially start over, because the muscles used are different, and I wasn't strong enough to do even a HeSPU with elbows tucked.

I'm bringing this up because I made the mistake of learning elbows out at first. When I realized they needed to be tucked to move to freestanding, I had to essentially start over, because the muscles used are different, and I wasn't strong enough to do even a HeSPU with elbows tucked.

Same here..I can do 5+ with elbows out but not even one strict HeSPU with elbows in.

... Without having to balance most people end up doing elbows out ... but like I said, good luck trying to do an elbows out freestanding HSPU ... Plus that it is a much more stable shoulder position, I always teach elbows in pushups

Excellent post.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Same here..I can do 5+ with elbows out but not even one strict HeSPU with elbows in.

A few years ago, on the CF board the results of doing them stomach to wall elbows in, back to wall elbows in, and back to wall heavily arched with wide handplacement. If memory serves, I could do about twice the number of reps as I stepped down in difficulty of progression. It was something like 7, 12, 20ish. Or maybe 5, 10, 20ish. I think you get the point. I just know in recent years, I've generally been able to do anywhere from 3-10 but have never hit past 10 in elbows in, stomach to wall.