kdBt0NyI9EI

This is an exhibition "show".

HQX9a4JO2hs

#2 Typhoon

Typhoon

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

This guy is awesome, not to mention built like a brick house. Anyone ever notice his posture? While back is straight his shoulders seem to be protracted forward quite a bit. Not quite rounded forward like that of a powerlifter, whose shoulders are extremely internally rotated, but definitly not retracted at all.

Thoughts on this in terms of injuries and what not? My guess is that they are protracted forward from so much protraction work in maltese and planche but I doubt that his rear delts are really weak I mean look at his back.

#3 Joshua Naterman

Joshua Naterman

• Medical school applicant!

• PipPipPip
  • 9,063 posts
  • Facebook Profile:joshua.naterman
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

That's one of the issues with being a competitive gymnast, all the points are in protraction and hollow. As long as there is good prehab done, including plenty of mobility and strength work for the upper back and chest (which is a part of training for these guys anyways) he should be fine. The Chinese seem to be very big on pre-hab work.

#4 seiyafan

seiyafan

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think many gymnasts bear the pain during their ring routines in competition, we just don't know it. :mrgreen:

I wonder if doing lots of pull-ups is the quickest way to build a back like his. I mean I am getting a broader back from all the training I've done in the last three months, but it's just not bulging.

#5 Joshua Naterman

Joshua Naterman

• PipPipPip
  • 9,063 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Lol, you can't get a huge back in 3 months! 2 years is reasonable if your eating and workouts are on point.

#6 seiyafan

seiyafan

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

darn... :mrgreen: okay, I am going back for more pull-ups and protein powder.

#7 Joshua Naterman

Joshua Naterman

• PipPipPip
  • 9,063 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Lol! Just remember to have lots of small doses throughout the day, and have some carbs with each dose!

#8 seiyafan

seiyafan

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

You know, it's always nice to have a goal in mind during training.

Posted Image

#9 mikelmarion

mikelmarion

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

What would ring work combined with heavy front squatting and oylmpic lifting produce?

#10 Nic Branson

Nic Branson

• PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

What would ring work combined with heavy front squatting and oylmpic lifting produce?

Big grocery bill.

#11 Joshua Naterman

Joshua Naterman

• PipPipPip
  • 9,063 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Big grocery bill.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes sir it would!

#12 rhyneza

rhyneza

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for posting - loved those videos!

I wonder if doing lots of pull-ups is the quickest way to build a back like his. I mean I am getting a broader back from all the training I've done in the last three months, but it's just not bulging.

I'd imagine pull-ups would get you far but both his lats and his spinal erectors stood out to me.

Pull ups as great as they are I don't believe will develop those spinal erectors to even approach what Chen yibing's got. Those spinal erectors muscles come into play upon extending (i.e., laying out) or arching the body such as is found with the back lever and the planche, planks, bridging, handstands, etc ... (or as I'd have to put in here - deadlifting!!).

Pull-ups will widen the back - unreal like - maybe even better than anything else (?) but to get that extra dimension, that pop - of depth requires I think equally developed, thick spinal erectors.

#13 seiyafan

seiyafan

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

That's exactly what I was looking for, thickening the back in the other dimension, so deadlift huh?

#14 rhyneza

rhyneza

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for, thickening the back in the other dimension, so deadlift huh?

Coach as a whole section of "lower back variations" in BTGB under the "Core " chapter: the natural glute-ham raise has also been mentioned often on this site. I like high reps when using weights for the lower back since it can often be an injury prone area and the hypertrophy there in my mind never goes unrewarded though for bodyweight high reps for lower back I am not overly sure of a high benefit there (?).

I just throw deadlifts into the post above because I love them – but Chen yibing probably has never done them as you probably imagine too ….

I like handstand pushups with a slight arch in the back and I love handstand presses against the wall but “planching’ them instead of doing it “string of pearl.” But I love taking standard exercise and finding ways to incorporate lower back more intensely.

I started another post called “Lu Xiaojun's back muscles!!” – who is an O-lifter if you like to see what heavy pulling does from an elite O-level. (http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8358&p=75096#p74993)

#15 seiyafan

seiyafan

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Holy mother of batman, compare to his my back looks like an airport runway.

#16 seiyafan

seiyafan

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

take a look at this picture:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How to get that tapered look from this angle? Is the thicker upper back due to bone structure or thicker meat?