Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Middle Splits (Russian Split) feet direction

Alexis Solis

Hey fellas, a fairly easy question... :D

When working on your middle splits, should your feet be flat and pointing forwards? Like this:

straddle-forward-bend_-_step_3.max.v1.png

Or should they be pointed and to the sides? Like this:

straddlethree.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

-Alex

I've never heard them called "Russian Splits" but I remember the days of yesteryear when we called sidesplits, "Chinese" splits and front splits, "American splits."

Honestly, do both. I can do them either way. Toes up is something that I might do more of if I'm in a straddle pancake split, whereas I might use toes forward if I'm doing the splits while my chest and stomach are on the floor (as well as my crotch, of course).

• 1 month later...

for me when i train splits, i feel more flexibile when feet facing forward. but i would also like to you if u should train feet both directions?

For middle split, we go feet forwards. For pancake, we go feet up. Pancake split is seated straddle split.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Griffin
For middle split, we go feet forwards. For pancake, we go feet up. Pancake split is seated straddle split.

What about the tilt of the pelvis? The whole internet seems to suggest that the lower back should be arched when doing side split work. But for me, that seems to cause a lot more hip pain than squeezing the glutes to get more of a hollowed position.

As someone who didn't start trying until around 27, I'm convinced I'll probably never get a side split, but I'm still going to keep trying.

Alexis Solis

As someone who didn't start trying until around 27, I'm convinced I'll probably never get a side split, but I'm still going to keep trying.

You will. With enough training, everything is possible. You just have to be diligent! I know a friend who started at 40, now he is 43 and he can do a perfect side split and front split. Completely inspirational to me, really. :lol::lol:

Barring some isolated physical issue, integrated pre/post/mid workout stretching could easily lead to either/both side and front split.

One thing Ido portal said a little while ago that helped me a great deal was Progressive load stretching. I asked for him to explain what it mean and researched it a little, and found that it is a lot like the weighted pike coach does. Put pon a weighted vest and put in 5 or 10lbsand slowly go into the middle or front split, and hold it for thirty seconds. I use a chiar becasue your body doesnt actually stop moving down with the weight on, you don't want to hurt yourself. But this is what has been Hleping me. That and a Yoga Dvd that my friend Steve Atlas made on thebodypractice.com. Both together have worked wonders for me.

• 8 months later...

@ Ian,

Could you explain in a little more detail your method of using what you called "Progressive Loaded Stretching"?

How many sets of this weighted stretching would you do in a workout for each position?

How much rest in between sets?

How many times/days a week would you do this routine?

When you have held the weighed stretch for the thirty seconds, do you slide down further into the stretch or, is that it for that set?

Did you do any other assistance stretch work besides this or is this the bulk of the stretching?

What level of flexibility do you possess now and how long in months/years did it take to get what you have?

Thanks very much for any advice you might have. I am getting frustrated with not progressing any further on my side splits in particular.

Cody Hahn

Parth Rajguru

@ Ian,

Could you explain in a little more detail your method of using what you called "Progressive Loaded Stretching"?

How many sets of this weighted stretching would you do in a workout for each position?

How much rest in between sets?

How many times/days a week would you do this routine?

When you have held the weighed stretch for the thirty seconds, do you slide down further into the stretch or, is that it for that set?

Did you do any other assistance stretch work besides this or is this the bulk of the stretching?

What level of flexibility do you possess now and how long in months/years did it take to get what you have?

Thanks very much for any advice you might have. I am getting frustrated with not progressing any further on my side splits in particular.

Cody Hahn

Cody, volumes have been written about mobility training. A single forum post can't address all of what you're ask, but I'll suggest you a resource: "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz. It doesn't go over "Loaded Progressive Stretching" but goes over the basics of mobility training. The correct sequencing, frequency, goals, etc. It would answer all of the questions that you have asked and more.

Loaded Progressive Stretching is Ido Portal's system of mobility training. If you want to learn about that, attend one of his seminars. He has posted a sample bridge mobility routine on his facebook page if you wanted to see an example.