Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

False grip with Gymnastic grips

Patrick Van de Glind

Patrick Van de Glind

Hi guys,

Got my first gymnastic grips today, Reisport 506, size 4..

but have a hard time training with them, especially since these are my first grips ever, and no coach

to tell me what to do..

but i seem to have a killer hard time holding a false grip with the grips on!

do you guys have any hints/tips?

anything would be appreciated..

Today I tried false grip rows, and in no-time i was doing a regular row :(

Thanks!!

Patrick Van de Glind

Thanks!

Training it is then..

Also it's very hard to see how to 'exactly' hold your index finger and pinky..

today while training, my index finger was sort of 'in the way' and i couldn't really

place my pinky.

How do you guys do that / hold your finger?

I have a photograph or 2 that show a closeup, but it seems like the index finger is completely out

of the picture on those, like you don't use it at all to grab the ring anymore, is that true?

False grip is a pain in the butt with grips. It takes quite awhile to break them in for false grip. Size 4. Your hands must be huge!

That's why a lot of coaches in the US delay using grips to L6 as MU is a bonus skill in L5. If the boy isn't doing MU by himself (since an assist is allowed otherwise), it's not so much of an issue.

Jeff Robinson has also gone on the record that grips shouldn't be used until the basic swing is decent because using grips can allow you to swing bigger and that is not a good idea if you're mechanics are poor in the first place.

Patrick Van de Glind

Hi Blairbob,

haha.. my hands are from the bottom of my hand to the top, 19.5cm..

on 1 website i was supposed to order the size 3's..

while on another website, I was supposed to measure from the bottom of my hand till

the last finger bone in the middle finger, which is 16.5cm

that got me to order a size 4, and I must say, but am not entirely sure.. they are the right size.

Maybe I should first focus on the false grip without grips.. even then I seem to lose the grip (i'm still training for my first MU)

Do you know where I can find those levels? I've been looking for a while but can't seem to find anything remotely

close to specific levels besides the Rings Code of Points from the FIG.

Getting those levels would be AMAZING! It would give me such a clear view of where I am and what is next to train :)

Thank you!

http://www.test.ngja.org/images/stories/2009-2012/JO_docs/jo_course_notes_2010-v102a1-all.pdf

These are the judging notes for the current USAG Junior Olympic Men's routines L4-7. However, this is an older document as it is awaiting being updated on NGJA's website.

Most boys develop their false grip before trying it with grips and that's how I teach it. It takes times for most besides being uncomfortable to many.

For many I focus on false grip pullup rows nowadays with little guys besides spotting them.

Many adults simply need to work on their wrist flexibility, taping their wrists and getting used to how uncomfortable it is.