Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

rings straps as rope

Ian Legrow

QUick question. I have zero access to any type of rope, and if i bought one i have zero place to hang it. I do have gymnastic rings. I can occasionally hang them on a tree branch outside my grandparts house. Do you think the XR straps would be able to hold me if i decided to try and climb it? I am 6' 130lbs. If not thats fine, i am just wondering

Daniel Burnham

Im sure they would hold you but your grip couldn't be very good on that thin and slippery nylon. I think it would be too dangerous to try. A substitute for rope climbs often mentioned in the WODs is doing towel pull-ups. This is what I usually do. Just hang a towel over a pull-up bar or through a ring and do pull-ups on it.

Ring straps will work fine for rope climbs.

Be sure to take a video of your first climb and post it here for us to laugh, er, I mean analyze.

Totally, unrelated question: Do you have health insurance?

Probably only if you use what we call in BJJ the "Million Dollar Grip". The straps have an opening when you have them set up. Put your index finger through this opening. Then grip normally. I don't know why this works so much better but it does. What would be even better than this is to just get a long, heavy towel. Probably safer too.

John Sapinoso

the xr straps can hold you, but can you hold them?

Ive done it before but i do pretty extensive grip work too..

I think a bed sheet may tear, specially if it is going to be over a rough surface such as a tree branch.

Are you sure you can't get a rope? You can loop it around a bar and do rope pull-ups with it, I do this myself.

the xr straps can hold you, but can you hold them?

Ive done it before but i do pretty extensive grip work too..

What kind of grip work do you do?

Bruno Cochofel
Ring straps will work fine for rope climbs.

Be sure to take a video of your first climb and post it here for us to laugh, er, I mean analyze.

Totally, unrelated question: Do you have health insurance?

I've found this answer very amusing :mrgreen:

But now seriously, can't you buy climbing rope? You can use double rope setup...