Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Replacement

Richard1969

While waiting for surgery for my (second) replacement hip, I learnt front lever and planche as a non-impact work-out (from Coach Summer's writings natch). I did them for the last time in September and was advised to stop doing them until my new hip was stable.

I've just been told that I need both shoulders replaced. I'm 42. My bone density is good, but the connective tissue is completely shot.

Reading through the warnings for looking after artificial shoulders weight training and (more specifically) movement under extreme pressure, is prohibited as it causes wearing on the new joint. Boxing and any sport involving impact and sudden deceleration are also out.

It did occur to me that the static movements of front lever and planche (which are now impossible for me following muscle wastage and rapidly increasing pain) might be alright for my new shoulders as there is none of the impact or heavy grinding associated with weight training.

I am very keen to retain what exercises and sports I can. I found the front lever and planche progressions to be fantastic workouts and beneficial for all my other ailments. I also liked what it did for my body.

Unfortunately, explaining this to doctors and physios is very difficult. Many take the view that I should accept my limitations and be grateful for what I've got. One surgeon (who I didn't go with) suggested that, when I got my first new hip, I take up drinking in the pub as a replacement for my previous hobbies. None of the other experts know what these kind of exercises are and the specific difficulties and benefits that come with them.

Would anyone here have any experience of my situation and whether I'm just being completely unrealistic?

Email Kelly Starlett of MobilityWoD. Maybe he has an idea.

I'll post back after I talk to another PT friend.

My friend said to talk to your Orthopedic on the limitations of the shoulder joint replacement and how much force it can handle.

Overhead ROM can be limited to 140 degrees, so HS might be out of the question.

Likely rows and pushups are fine, but levers and planche just have too much force on them isometrically. Pullups and dips, maybe.

But ya need to talk to your orthopedic surgeon about what it can handle.

This is definitely beyond the scope of a forum, other than us providing moral support.

I'm not even sure if some one like Starett is a good place to go, he might be too agressive for this. In any it really requires specialty knowledge of artificial joints.

And then there is the question, what's the reason the Richard needs to have artificial joints all around, is there some sort of connective tissue disease at play?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I probably knew I was just grasping at straws. Seems I'm going to have to do a lot of thinking over the next few months.