Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mounting rings in my apartment

seiyafan

Sorry if this has been answered before. I am a big fan of body weight training and I really want to start by using the rings. I live on the top floor of a 2-story apartment and the ceiling is made of drywall. Would it enough just to put two eye bolts into the stud with climbing buckles attached or do I need to use those fancy ceiling mount hardware? And other things I should know for this kind of installation, I will appreciate very much!

I did some investigation today. Because the apartment is quite old, I am going to put each eye bolt in a separate stud to lessen the load and have both placed about 1 foot next to a wall to minimize flexing. This placement can also allow me to do ring handstand with feet leaning against the wall. Anything I missed here by placing the rings close to a wall? The eye bolt is designed to take 175 pounds each, and that's already 20 pounds over my body weight, so both should be safe, please correct me if I am doing it wrong. (p.s. I have not ordered the rings yet to prevent any regret later :wink: )

Aaron Griffin
Anything I missed here by placing the rings close to a wall?

Yeah, probably. Any sort of rolling/flipping motions are going to be inaccessible. Notable are the Tick-Tocks / 360 Pulls from the book, which I think are great. Smooth skin-the-cats will also be trouble

1) Placement

One foot is a little on the close side.

I'd recommend 19-24 inches from the wall, but even then horizontal work will be an issue.

There is one partial solution to this, depending on how your celling joists are hung and room layout. Put the rings in front of a door, then you can open it for more clearance, or close it to use as a support.

My pull up bar is located near a wall set at 19 inches and that is ok for what i do on it, but it is still cramped if i don't open the door.

2) Eye bolt rating

Twenty pounds over your bodyweight doesn't sound like enough margin of error for me. I'd want each to be capable of supporting at least twice your weight. Engineering should always be way over what you think a part will be exposed to.

If you have a link or photo of the eye bolt it might help to see if it's safe. I'm pretty conservative about this kind of thing.

It's here:http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202183396/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=lag%20bolt&storeId=10051

not the exact one. I think they have ones that can support 250 pounds each, but I am afraid it might be too big.

Another issue is that the distance between two joists is 16 inches, somewhat less than the 19.6 inch standard, is that okay? I have average shoulders.

Aaron Griffin

Rogue sells this thing that seems to be easy to make from basic parts. I wonder if installing a beam like this that spans 4 or more joists and hanging the rings from that would have any benefit

That looks on the weak side to me.

16 inches is better than your ceiling crashing in on you. It will be fine.

The solution Phrak posted looks interesting (except it doesn't include hardware!)

If I install the rings 2 feet from a wall, to begin a handstand I need to lean my legs on the straps right? Anyway it still sounds a bit scary.

I am going to home depot again to exchange for eye bolt lag with a bigger load.

Placing the rings next to a door would be a great idea, however one of the joist is in the middle of the door and the next one is slightly beyond the edge of the door, lol , guess I am not that lucky