Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longest handstand you can hold?

irongymnast

How much time can you hold a freestanding handstand?

Also for those who can do 1 arm HS, how much time can you hold that?

0C2OLzCl5lI

The longest i ever did a HS was 45 seconds. But i am not sure if i was perfectly straight. THis is my best HS but i don't know how long i can hold it

John Sapinoso

haven't tried to go past 2 minutes in a long time.

right arm with body 12 inches away from a wall my record is 15s, right arm in the middle of a room record is 5s

left arm with body 12 inches away from a wall record is 4s, left arm in the middle of a room record 3s

ts00nami so the wall increases your confidence even though you're not touching it?

I start to cramp in my brachioradialis muscle when I hold the freestanding HS for >1.30 mins. Not exactly cramp but I can feel the muscle braids moving irritatingly or something. Is that normal?

John Sapinoso

I have two theories:

it's either that and it helps me with my perception of vertical / straight.

Or maybe it's just because I have more attempts near a wall so the probability of me getting a longer hold is skewed in its favor. I attempt in the middle of a room maybe ten times per week per arm vs near a wall is around 200-400 sets per week per arm.

my feeling is that using your foot against the wall to regain balance teaches you to balance with your legs rather than your balancing hand. ideally your legs should lock and not move at all...

i found it better to lightly hold something with my free arm about shoulder height... thats also how they teach a lot of 1 arm combo's at Kiev circus school

John Sapinoso

Thanks for the tip Ace. I haven't been recording many of my holds but i do feel that my balance comes from a lot of flagging and a bit of legs.

yuri marmerstein
Thanks for the tip Ace. I haven't been recording many of my holds but i do feel that my balance comes from a lot of flagging and a bit of legs.

No worries, I started learning to balance using a bit flag and legs as well. This is normal, it is unlikely you will be able to balance only from your hand straight away, though that should be the goal.

The important thing is to build up time in a solid one arm position and not give into ego. I don't really think you should be using a wall at all if you are working one arms, unless you are really tight on space for whatever reason.

Hmmm, think my record are 2:30 or so freestanding on two hands.

I think 40 seconds right arm and 10-15 seconds left.

• 1 month later...
georgemihaly

I´ve been pretty stuck around the 1 minute mark for sometime now...with a poor line :( (I have no execuse as I have not been training regularly recently...)

Anyone have any tips on how to correct a piked hs? I think I have to work on opening my shoulders more, but am not sure if I should be focusing on strengthening the girdle or more on increasing flexibility (...probably both right?). I´ve attached a semi-recent video of my hs for reference. Thanks -George

yZ1xoFnAi2M

I would Definitely recommend beginning practice on Stomach to wall HS. Your back is arched and your shoulders are closed. Stomach to wall HS will help with your body line and things like CAT STRETCH will help open your shoulders

• 4 weeks later...
georgemihaly
I would Definitely recommend beginning practice on Stomach to wall HS. Your back is arched and your shoulders are closed. Stomach to wall HS will help with your body line and things like CAT STRETCH will help open your shoulders

Hey Ian, I think you are correct about wall HS. I read a bunch of Coach's recommendations for wall work/correcting lines and have begun to spend more and more time upside down working on correcting my line. I've been practicing hatha and vinyasa yoga everyday for the past two weeks and just noticed today how my shoulders are starting to line up a bit better against the wall. Video of my progress coming soon....

On a random note, I made this video yesterday. No serious handbalancing, just having fun :) GkpgGAMKoIo