Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flexibility needed for HS Press

Alexis Solis

Hi guys, :D

I'm definitely no flexible at all... :( :cry: so I have more trouble with the HS Press. My question is... what exercises can I do to get this issue solved (I'm referring to stretches specifically for the HS Press). Also, what kind of stretches do I need, passive and active stretches, right? :roll:

I saw this video... think it's good. What do you think?

29UGouveR14

Seated Straddle-L lifts

Straddle-L lifts

The drill of HLL to invert straddle/stalder is good but what is criticial is straddle compression.

Somewhere around 15-20 years ago I achieved my middle splits. Roughly 7-10 years later I came into gymnastics still having them (I had oversplits for a time but I was never really that fond of training them). Regardless, straddle-L on the floor and pressHS was still a problem even though I had the passive flexibility.

Good shoulder flexibility is critical as well for a textbook press.

Blairbob, as always, I really appreciate the info. :D:D

Seated Straddle-L lifts

Straddle-L lifts

The drill of HLL to invert straddle/stalder is good but what is criticial is straddle compression.

Somewhere around 15-20 years ago I achieved my middle splits. Roughly 7-10 years later I came into gymnastics still having them (I had oversplits for a time but I was never really that fond of training them). Regardless, straddle-L on the floor and pressHS was still a problem even though I had the passive flexibility.

Good shoulder flexibility is critical as well for a textbook press.

This is "awesome" as I have absolutely no shoulder flexibility and even less flexibility for middle splits. At first I tried to solve this issue by asking my coach to stretch me 3 times a week... HA! He got tired of doing it and... well, let's just say that he really sucks as a coach! :x :x I've been looking (for 2 years now) around the forum and the Internet for a passive/active flexibility routine to solve this issue but I've found nothing that convinces me. Tried buying several DVDs (ElasticSteel and Secrets for Splits) but the stretches there don't convince me and they don't explain lots of things. :(:(

Does anyone happen to know a good routine? I'm looking to achieve stretches like the pancake, splits, pike, bridge, and others for the shoulders.

If I have 30 gymnasts and we have 3 coaches, maybe even 4 or 5; we can't really dedicate ourselves to one gymnast.

Fortunately, most of them won't need a coach to stretch them. Partner stretching works somewhat but some kids don't go hard enough and some go too hard.

The solution is to figure out some stretches that can take the place of the coach. Stall bars works great for pike stretching and shoulder stretching. It can be very brutal.

I designed a poor/basic time limited stretching routine. One of these days if I cared to, I might try to put more time into; but seeing as I haven't in 4 years, that's doubtful. My lil guys were beginners with a limited amount of time to train (2 1/2hrs a day) so this was to be done in 10-15 minutes.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

I'd probably add butterfly stretch in there. And generally nowadays with certain gymnasts, I'll use some specific stretches like pidgeon or froggy splits with one leg straight or a lunge with the back leg pulled back or against a wall, maybe a lying down quad stretch or wall splits or stall bar stretching or seated japanese style sitting for ankles (make sure heels do not splay out underneath the butt).

Aren't Elastic Steel and Secret to Splits off Dragondoor? I thought I read one of them once and it seemed decent. Long time ago.

If I have 30 gymnasts and we have 3 coaches, maybe even 4 or 5; we can't really dedicate ourselves to one gymnast.

Ok, I hadn't thought of this... hehehe

This was to be done in 10-15 minutes.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

Wow, did you do this routine? I loved that it can be done in 30 minutes or less! Nice!! You don't know how much I appreciate this!! :D:D:D

Aren't Elastic Steel and Secret to Splits off Dragondoor? I thought I read one of them once and it seemed decent. Long time ago.

I didn't even know Dragondoor! It's awesome! I'm considering buying some material from there! Elastic Steel is from Paul Zaichik and Secrets to Splits is from Stacey Nemour, I bought them from each of their websites.

I'd like to note that Paul Zaichik is awesome, probably even better than Tom Kurz (I also bought his DVD). The problem with Elastic Steel is that I don't even know where to start and the routine is TWO HOURS LONG! I only have that much time on weekends! :(:(

THanks again Blairbob, loved the routine!

-Alex

I toss in one shoulder opening exercise i like.

I use a 5 kg plate with hand holds for this, since it's what i have. Sometimes i will hold two of them stacked to add more weight.

Lay on your back holding the plate with both hands arms straight plate resting near the hips.

Lift the plate over head and bring it down to the floor or a close a possible while maintaining a strong hollow in the core. Do not allow the lower back or bottom ribs to lift. Stay for one or two breaths and then lift the plate and slowly lower it to the hips.

Repeat.

Aaron Griffin

I use a 5 kg plate with hand holds for this, since it's what i have. Sometimes i will hold two of them stacked to add more weight.

Lay on your back holding the plate with both hands arms straight plate resting near the hips.

Lift the plate over head and bring it down to the floor or a close a possible while maintaining a strong hollow in the core. Do not allow the lower back or bottom ribs to lift. Stay for one or two breaths and then lift the plate and slowly lower it to the hips.

Repeat.

Kinda like this?

Kinda, but maintaining the hollow, keeping arms straight and optionally bringing the weight all the way down to the belly on the other side so it makes a 180 degree arc.

I usually do it on the floor, but a bench makes sense if you have it.

Aaron Griffin
Kinda, but maintaining the hollow, keeping arms straight and optionally bringing the weight all the way down to the belly on the other side so it makes a 180 degree arc.

I usually do it on the floor, but a bench makes sense if you have it.

Right. I was just trying to provide a name for the motion. It sounds like a weighted pullover, so you could just say "weighted pullovers with a hollow body" or some such :)

Repeat.

Nice!!! This is great!! One more shoulder exercise to do!! Many thanks Cole! :D