Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L-Sit PB vs XR

Cole Dano

I find doing L-Sti much easier to hold for time on rings than on PB. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this and has a reason why.

How about on the floor? Or on boxes? How do you find those? Just curious.

A week ago I was talking to a trainer at my gym who said he was bored with his workout so I suggested we do an L-sit for time challenge in one month's time. We plan on doing it on the rings set close to the floor. I have been practicing on the floor as I find it more difficult than on the rings. I don't have access to PB.

The challenge should be interesting because the trainer isn't really a GB guy but he will fiddle around on the rings from time to time. He's 20 years my junior but I think I'm going to kick his ass.

Hmm, in general I have found it more difficult on floor and rings than PB.

Floor has probably been more difficult for me but I can at least hit the 2s hold on SR for element value without deduction. Never really tried L-sit on rings for duration, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally train it on my `parallel bars` (an iron gym on the floor), I'v tried it on my `rings` (cargo straps...), and I found it easier!

I find it allot harder on the floor, even when compared to me doing it with good form on my paralell bars (advanced L sit- legs totally straight)

I have a max hold of only 30 seconds on a good day though, so perhaps when keeping my legs up becomes less of an issue, they will be easier on the floor....

I wonder if there is more room for slop on the rings such as not pressing down enough and feet dropping a little.

I believe that's it.

If you're feeling its easier to do on rings, you are not doing it correctly.

Get on the floor. :)

I was mostly asking about the perceived difference between doing on the PB vs Rings. Since ring support is much harder than on PB I would have thought that L-sit would be the same, but i find it much easier to hold than on PB.

On the floor is the gold standard and much more difficult.

Joshua Naterman
I was mostly asking about the perceived difference between doing on the PB vs Rings. Since ring support is much harder than on PB I would have thought that L-sit would be the same, but i find it much easier to hold than on PB.

I think this has to do with the quality of the XR support. I find that a quality PB support is still fairly challenging for 60s, and holding the same position on rings is extremely difficult for even 10 seconds. I think that if we view the support position from the side we will see a bit of hollowing in the chest and the abdomen, both of which make the support easier by shifting the load towards the chest. This takes the load off of the lower traps and the rest of the posterior shoulder girdle, which is usually much weaker than the anterior portion and thus leads to the perception that XR L-sit is easier.

That's just what I think, based on my own body. I can't say whether any of you notice the same thing, but I think that a video analysis of the mentioned positions will show what I am suggesting.

Joshua Naterman

Not really, as long as you have a solid support I can't imagine this mattering. In theory, having excellent pike compression will make this unnecessary, but I don't know as I have yet to have even halfway decent pike compression!

If you are finding it much easier to perform an Lsit on the rings compared to the PBs; my initial thought is that the position of your Lsit on the rings position is flawed and needs improvement. This is why at the seminars, we focus on the floor Lsit; there is no escaping poor execution. 8)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bruno Cochofel

Well, I can do L-sit on the floor, on p-bars and on rings, but on rings e cannot get the same way as in the others..

And on the floor I just don't have the pike compression to pass my legs straight with the palms flat on the floor, but I'm working my pike and straddle compression...

• 5 months later...

Interesting post.

For a beginner, is it acceptable to go straight to rings for the L-Sit progressions?

I have tried on PB (pushup handles is all I have) but find my low back gets pain. Rings I find are easier and more convenient.

Have you tried the L-sit on rings yet? Does it give you that same lower back pain?

In general, the answer is no. Master the PB support, then master holding a prone support on rings or skip to a regular ring support. Build up to being able to do 3x60s and the move on. Ring L-sit is after ring support.

I'm guessing you either have tight hamstrings or weak abs. Build up that L-sit if it's strength limited. Hit the hamsrings and lower back flexibility if you are stiff. Butterfly is a stretch I like for the lower back but it can simple be just doing swings in hang and support

Get stronger abs and hip flexors. Doing a L-sit on rings is more difficult than on PB because you have to push your hips out.