Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPU does not equal bodyweight over-head press

RatioFitness

Here's my reasoning:

HSPU means you are lifting your bodyweight MINUS the weight of your forearms and hands.

Bodyweight overhead press means you are lifting your bodyweight on the bar plus the weight of your arms.

So, a bodyweight overhead press means you are lifting more weight and you will not be ready for it if you can do only a single HSPU. Of course sometimes things sound good in theory but there are things you are missing that you only find out about after you test it.

So, what do you think? If you can do a HSPU does that mean you can do an overhead press?

yuri marmerstein

Granted there is some carryover from HS to overhead pressing, but no, HSPU does not automatically give you bodyweight overhead press.

I can do both and they feel completely different to me.

Phil O'malley

Hi Yuri

Is their much carryover to HSPU from OH press - does it have much value nas an assistance exercise? I am lagging in terms of HSPU strength compared to other areas and was onsidering some OH pressing to offer assistance

thanks phil

Todd Sprenkle

My experience is that gradually increasing strength through overhead presses in an exercise machine does translate to easier HeSPU.

yuri marmerstein
Hi Yuri

Is their much carryover to HSPU from OH press - does it have much value nas an assistance exercise? I am lagging in terms of HSPU strength compared to other areas and was onsidering some OH pressing to offer assistance

thanks phil

If you are working full ROM HSPU military press can help a bit, but in my opinnion the best way to develop HSPU is to practice them. There are a lot of subtleties in the HSPU that the overhead press won't help you to realize.

I'm not saying don't do overhead press, I'm just saying if your goal is HSPU then put more focus on them