Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to perform SelfMyofascial Release

Nischal

I have been stretching quite regularly with the goal of achieving front and side splits. When i perform the front pike stretch for example, i feel mostly in the calves than in the hamstrings...

But apart from tight calves, it is my tight abductors(gluteus minimus, and IT band) area which has been hindering my progress. For instance, if i try to slide down into side splits from a standing position... i feel almost no stretch on myadductors.. and have a tight, slightly painful feeling in the abductors..(I also tried playing around with my pelvis position during the split with no improvement)...

So long story short, i recently read somewhere that selfmyofascial release is helpful in releasing tension in such cases.. Was wondering if there is a specific way you are supposed to perform it? I dont have access to a foam roller, or a chiropractor....

I have a piece of stick, and a cork ball and some Castor Oil at my disposal.. How do i use it to ease tension in my calves and abductors

Niels Joergensen

You don't need a foam roaller or expensive equipment for SMR. I have a lacrosse ball which is great! you can use anything as long as it's able to rub it hard really. A lacrosse ball is like 4$ i think. To perform SMR you need to roll on the ball on the muscles. If it hurts you're doing in right. add as much of your weight on the ball as you can take. add more pressure when it's not painful enough

• 1 month later...
Niels Joergensen
Cool,

So how long do you do it for.. and how often?.

That's up to you. Depends on how many muscles you do, how much they need it etc.I like to do it everyday for 5 mins AM or PM. I do it as part of my warm up sometimes, which is perfectly fine. I mainly do it on the scapular, pecs and lats. That's because I have a bad right shoulder posture that's causing shoulderpain.

• 1 month later...
Randeep Walia

Man, workin those IT bands is a killer! I've used a ball as well, but I believe that the foam roller is best and recommend it. You should be able to find one online for not too much.

Niels Joergensen

Yes a foam roaller is good for the lower body because you can work both legs simultaneously. However for the upper body I prefer a lacrosse/golf ball because it's able to massage more directly and can move more freely. :)