Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rests between sets

vince_monaco

If you're training a repetition exercise like pull-ups or dips (e.g. 5 x 5) or just breaking down a static hold into time chunks based on your maximum hold (e.g. max hold = 20 seconds, target = 60 seconds so you do 6 x 10 seconds), how long should you rest between sets?

When I used to do weight training it was always accepted that you'd never rest for more than about a minute between sets, but then again it was always accepted that you trained to failure too (and judging by what I've read since getting interested in gymnastics training, this isn't the best way to train). Reading on here I get the impression that I should be resting for longer, like 3-5 minutes. Is this correct?

Vincent Stoyas

only a minute and a half to two minutes? Is this a standard rest time on this site?

I rest around 5 minutes. Although at times I have done as little as 3 minutes.

Daniel Burnham

It takes about 3-5 minutes for the phosphocreatine system regenerate its energy. One thing that you can do to decrease rest time is to alternate between two exercises so that one muscle group can be resting some while the other is working.

It is thought that allowing this system to regenerate ATP for 3-5 minutes allows you to lift the most and train strength.

One thing that you can do to decrease rest time is to alternate between two exercises so that one muscle group can be resting some while the other is working.

Sorry, I was talking about it. I was supposing that you are pairing the antagonists (e.g pull ups and hspu / planche and front lever).

It is thought that allowing this system to regenerate ATP for 3-5 minutes allows you to lift the most and train strength.

You're right.