Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Full ROM pullups help.

1druid1

Hi All

After recovering from a dislocated shoulder I am trying to increase my Pullups again. Before hurting the shoulder I was able to do between 15 and 20 pullups, I know not a great deal compared with many on the forums.

At the moment I am only around 3 - 5 max and I am following one of these 20 pullups in 6 weeks apps on my Ipad just to try get the numbers up and the strength back in the shoulder.

However after reading an article online regarding the muscle ups, it says that you should aim for a minimum of 25 pullups pulling to chest nipple level and not just chin level and 25 straight leg dips before attempting a muscle up.

Now at the moment I am not even thinking about a muscle up, but what is bothering me is I have never been able to get the bar on the pullup anywhere near the chest nipple area, I think my max is my chin 1 inch above the bar.

So looking for a little advice from members who can either do a muscle up or can perform pullups to chest level about how to get this final ROM in the pullup.

Cheers

Dougie

I've done a MU and had boys do a MU who could only do about 7-10 pullups at the time. In the past 10 years or so I've heard 15 pullups and 15 dips, 10/10, etc, etc.

To hit chest to bar, nipple to bar you will either have to hollow or arch in your shoulders/chest.

Hi Blairbob

I tried using a hollow / arch but it really didnt make any height difference, so I must be really weak in the last part for a full ROM pullup. Are there any suggestions on how to train the strength in the very last part of the movement?

Cheers

Dougie

I can't really give you any advice on ROM as I am not experienced enough with joint problems et cetera but I can say that 25 pullups/dips is an incredible surplus of what you need to do as a prerequisite for the muscle-up. The hardest part of the muscle-up is the transition, and I have read a lot about muscle-ups being attained with only a few pull-ups/dip max.