Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Combining Pushing and Pulling exercises in routine?

qux

Hello everybody,

here is a "short" introduction of myself. I'm 28 years old and live in germany. My height is 178cm (5ft 10) and i weigh 74kg (162.8 lbs). I have been training MMA the last 5 years and during that time i have done additional strength training.

At first I did all steps of Steve Maxwells 300 Spartan Workout. The marketing at that time was annoying, but the exercises were quite good.

After this program i have spent time with weightlifting, until one year ago. I didn't have fun anymore in weightlifting and started with Convict Conditioning. Nearly the same marketing bullshit as with the 300 Spartan Workout, but also really good exercises. Now i have reached step 8-10 in most exercises, except Bridges(step 7) and Handstand Pushups(step 4) and there is only very little(or none) progression.

Hence i wanted to incorporate gymnastic training in my routine. I have done the prerequisites, which was not really hard, after having done bodyweight exercises and martial arts for some time.

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

60s chin up grip dead hang

The routine i have planned now is a steady state cycle with FSP and FBE:

Sunday:

Wrist-Exercise/Ido's Shoulder-Mobility

L-Sit/Straddle L/MSH

Back-Lever

Pull-up

Bridges

Handstand-Pushup

Ido's Scapular-Exercise

Monday: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Tuesday:

Wrist-Exercise/Ido's Shoulder-Mobility

Tuck Planche

Front-Lever

Rowing

Hanging Leg-raise/Dragon-Flag

(One-Arm) Pushup

Ido's Scapular-Exercise

Wednesday:Wrestling

Thursday:

Running

Ido's Squat Clinic

Calves-Exercise

One-Leg Squat(Pistol)

Friday: Boxing

The wrist routine is this one:

c2w1PeSR8G4

The shoulder mobility routine from Ido Portal:

1YHIV4a81Os

The scapular exercise from Ido Portal:

y4Wo095zPnc

The Squat Clinic from Ido Portal:

xPwG2hqnOx0

If the Videos don't work, use www.hidemyass.com

For the one leg Squat (pistol) i follow the routine from Steve Maxwell: http://maxwellsc.com/blog.cfm?blogID=60

The Progressions in the other exercise i take from Convict Conditioning, http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/05/master ... dy-weight/ and of course BtGb.

My question is now, if it is better to have for example all pulling exercises on Sunday and pressing exercises on Tuesday or a combination of both, as i posted here. However, you can also give your opinion on the routine as a whole of course.

Thank you in advance,

Matthias

Michael Miskelly

I don't know if one way is more effective than the other but I prefer to group my exercises in planes of motion as you have written. For example horizontal press and pull together meaning planche and front lever together as you have on Tuesday and vertical press and pull with the l-sit and handstand on Sundays. It means less time waiting around because you get your rest on the following exercise. Trying to do all pull and all push on the one day can lead to longer rest times and less quality work overall in my opinion. I tend to follow the WOD's now but this is my experience from the past.

Once you are strong enough start thinking of adding multi plane work too, I have found it very useful in my training.

Well the GB WOD for it's Dynamic WODs generally will only do push only or pull only for upper body. However, it only pops up once every 7-10 days or something like that.

If you're going for a minimalist routine, you'll hear the once every 7-10 days diatribe. "SuperSlows", "4hourBody", etc. It's also a part of bodysplit methodology.

I would not say the GB WOD is exactly this as also programmed in there are the Embedded Basic strength and Ring Strength days.

At the moment i can't train on rings, because I'm not allowed to attach them to my room ceiling. The pulling-exercise I do on a cage for bicycles. If you open the door you can hang on the rail.

I have now tested how long i can hold the FSP's in good form and how much reps i can do per FBE in good form.

The results for the steady state cylce, should be like this, if i am not mistaken:

L-Sit(on floor) 15 sec: 8 sets with 8 sec hold

Advanced Frog Stand 20 sec: 6 sets with 10 sec hold

Front Lever Tuck 20 sec: 6 sets with 10 sec hold

(German Hang was 30 sec and i do this before back lever)

Back Lever Tuck 25 sec: 5 sets with 12 sec hold

(I have read, that i should stay with the beginner exercises until i can hold them for 60 secs.)

Wide Grip Pull-up 5 reps

Wall Walking Bridges(Down) 3 reps

HeSPU 5 reps

Hanging Leg Rais 5 reps

Rowing-Front Lever Tuck 4 reps

Pseudo Planche Pushup 5 reps with arms locked at top position and shoulders slightly before my hands

IJK_wU4UVw4

I haven't evaluated the leg exercise yet. I will do 3 sets of each FBE and i added the prerequisites as a warm-up.

My question ist now, if i should do an additional pushup variation to the pseudo planche pushups. Furthermore i would like to know if i could increase for example the reps for Rowing-Front Lever Tuck to 5 reps in the 8-12 weeks of the Steady State Cycle depending on the form. However, i won't do more than 5 reps per set as stated in BtGB.

your headed straight to burning out if you dont rest that body. Recovery is half the equation! You might be doing too much all together, less could be more. Im not an expert just something to think about....keep it simple!

Thank you for your concerns, but i have done such a volume of training before. I just was doing other exercises. Besides, i listen to my body. For example, today i will skip training, because i don't feel like it.