Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Expended Effort

John-Paul Potter

John-Paul Potter

Hi All,

Quick question.....sure i have read in a thread somewhere on here (been unable to find it) that you only want to exert yourself about 80% when doing repetitions, does this also hold true for static holds?

Say i am doing a 30 sec set of 15, 10 & 5 secs but to failue on each hold would it infact be better to do say 10, 10, 5 & 5 leaving something in the tank each time?

Best regards JPP

The most used rule of thumb in static holds is that you work with repetitions that are 50% of your max hold time. Let's suppose you can hold a tucked planche for 20 seconds maximum, then you work with holds of 10 seconds each. Hold time is defined as the time you hold the perfect position. Breaking form means you're no longer holding the static position.

In your example that means 2x15seconds, provided your max hold time is 30 seconds..

Sounds like you should do a percentage of your max when doing reps, but re-test your max every once in a while and adjust your reps accordingly.

morphs said what i understood to be the way to deal with static holds..

"reps' are half of your max hold time... determine your max, then stick with half that time for a few weeks if not longer while you build up strength. Then retest after that time period has passed and adjust as needed.