Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, elbow pain is finally here!

Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

As the topic title says, after four months of training the elbow pain is finally. I have felt it for about two weeks, then I decided to take week off my FSPs in the hope of it going away. I tried doing them again today and guess what, the pain is still present. I need to point out when is say pain, i actually mean more strong discomfort then actual pain. The "pain" i only present in my right elbow and i feel it during my straight arm work. It may be a tendon problem, but my right elbow also have a very prominent clicking sound which started about the same time as the discomfort. I can also feel something "moving" (for lack of a better word) inside my elbow, when i twist it. This also causes the sound i mentioned. I read a lot of threads about elbow problems and tendon rehab, but like i have already written i'm not sure if it is my tendons. If anyone could give me advice or a "diagnosis" about what i can be and how treat it i would be very nice.

I feel the discomfort during planche leans, advanced frog stand, german hang and tuck/flat tuck back lever with both hand positions.

Any advice or answers are welcome! :D

Regards, Andreas.

So I'm guessing you took the FSP/statics out of your program this week but are still doing the FBE's?

Does doing said FBE's still cause pain? If so, take 2-3 days off completely off your arms, maybe even a week. Look into the more exotic restorative therapies.

Its kind of hard pinpoint where it comes form, but to me it feels like like it is more inside the elbow itself.

@blairbob

I only cut the FSP and the exercises directly related to them, like back pulls and reverse crank for back lever. Other than that i did my exercises as usual.

Joshua Naterman

I keep thinking that at some point people must have heard enough injury stories to just follow the pre-requisites, use SSC, and start at the very beginning...

Take time off. I took 8 weeks off of any straight arm work and most strength training when my UCL got strained back in late November or whenever that was. Now I am fine. Without the time off you can't heal. Doesn't REALLY matter too much what is going on specifically because the treatment will be the same... 4-7 days of completely no work with the upper body other than unweighted range of motion work (moving your arms), followed by starting off with 1-2 lbs and building up 1 lb at a time, not more than 1 lb per day, back up to your previous strength over 8-12 weeks at a bare minimum. Do not make the mistake of counting lbs or days/weeks. Pay attention ONLY to how your body feels. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

I know, probably not the most useful post I have ever authored lol!

It is frustrating to say "Hi, there have been like 100 people just on this forum who have done things they way you are doing them, got hurt, and are now having to start over and do things correctly." over and over :P It's not like we don't tell this to every single person, but I guess it just has to be said, ignored, and finally remembered after getting hurt a few times.

Andull, sorry if I hurt your feelings. What I said is the right thing to do though, take the time off and start rehab appropriately.

Something for everyone to remember:

Proper rehab is perfect strength training, and perfect strength training is proper rehab.

• Upvote 1

I not trying defend my self here because the is nothing to defend, but to be honest i have been following the SSC since i started training in late august. I first month was pretty pathetic, and most of my training since have been bothered never finding a comfortable routine and sticking with it. I have made two big mistakes which probably made this happen, the biggest which is also the most recent, is that i have been playing around with my tuck planche a bit too much. The Second one is that i started training back lever with a pull-up grip instead of a chin-up grip. My progress in this skill have very good and my elbows probably didn't have the time too catch up. I first started using the chin-up when i already was working flat tuck, AND i didn't do the german hang either. I got the half lay after three months training and when started i had never been in the german hang position. I have learned A LOT since then, but i guess still am perfectly capable go being a dumbass. I was actually kind of embarrassed making this, because of making the mistake so many before have made. This is another proof of my own ignorance.

Currently it is only a discomfort, i guess it is the right time to start the healing process.

@cdx I have seen that routine already and it seems people have had success with it, thanks for reminding me.

I'ill a start doing the routine cdx recommended, i will a lot of other rehab exercises on the forum as well which doesn't involve straight arms.

@slizz. I don't get offended that easily, especially when someone just is telling me the hard truth.

I have quick question. How would deadlifting affect my elbows?

Joshua Naterman

DL probably won't bother you, but you need to test that out and see for yourself. It never bothered me even when my elbows were all screwed up.

The volume definitely got you, and you are absolutely catching the injury before it becomes super serious. Good work!

I still make mistakes too, trust me. I am just barely avoiding big ones right now lol! It is hard not to do something when you are strong enough to do it...

Let see how this routine sounds for elbow prehab.

Regular Floor Push-up - 10 x 3

Diamond Push-up - 8 x 3

PB Support - 30 sec x 3

The Elbow routine cdx recommended , several times a day.

I was also thinking of taking a sock made of wool and cut of the front, and use it to keep my elbow warm.

Joshua Naterman

Anything you can do to keep your elbows perpetually warmer will help, that much is for sure, provided you don't exceed 100 degrees F or so.

• 3 weeks later...

How long should i wait before statics again? When my body is ready i will start from the beginning again building up to 60 sec German Hang with any discomfort.

Joshua Naterman

Almost impossible to say, I would do the easiest test you can think of every two weeks. A foot supported German Hang, for example, for maybe 10-15s. If that feels good then just do that for a few weeks, starting with twice a week and then three times a week, and after a few weeks take it to 20s, and from there I would gradually use less assistance, again reducing once every 2-4 weeks depending on how you feel.

Outside of that, performing whatever FBE don't bother you and using cables for very light muscle up simulations will help. SO will diamond push ups (might have to be elevated) or triceps pressdowns and biceps curls.