Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Voodoo Stretching Technique for instant results!

Andrew Komarnyckyj

Andrew Komarnyckyj

Hi, this is something I came across a few months ago. I'm posting it for the novelty value as much as anything. It's a stretching technique for the hip flexors which looks like nonsense on stilts. When I saw the demonstration video I was very sceptical - then I tried it and found that amazingly it worked for me. It worked very well in fact. I'm quite tight in the hip flexors, so the results for me were quite dramatic - and instant!!!!

(No, it's not waiting out the tension, or PNF, or anything else you are likely to have heard of!)

Does it work for anybody else on this forum? Try it and let me know - if only to satisfy my curiosity!

PS If you know a way to apply this to other muscle groups, I'm listening!

Quick Start Test Smith

I could easily be wrong, but doesn't leaning forward and losing neutral spinal position make the stretch TONS easier? He did it right the first time, but the in the second and third he leaned super forward.

Andrew Komarnyckyj

That might be what happened - I'll take a closer look and try it again myself. And of course, there could be some kind of placeboi effect going on.

Joshua Naterman

You're right. You don't need to do the hand garbage, just go ahead and lean forward. That's like when a magician waves his wand around so you don't see his foot hit a switch, it is a distraction and has nothing to do with anything.

The guy "didn't feel it was necessary to test improvements with a Thomas test" which is a giant red "I'M FULL OF CRAP" sign. There is absolutely nothing going on here beyond leaning forward.

Do you think you are more flexible when you lay face down on the ground? Come on. This is like saying "Look my hip flexors are so flexible I can do a Lizard Pose!" Um... :-/ :roll:

Joint angle is what matters, and even that has to be relative to the pelvis AND the femur, which means keeping track of lumbar extension.

Andrew Komarnyckyj

I'll file that technique in the usual place. The one where the non-recyclable stuff goes.

That's hilarious!

Well, it's Z-health, another great example of fitness gurus taking a great idea, twisting it, missing the point, and selling $1,000+ cert courses.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaning forward it can give a bit better leverage to get to the groins. The more vertical position hits the quads a bit more strongly.

That information however will cost you absolutely nothing.

Bruno Cochofel

This is why I come everyday to search and read this forum.. It has information that is solid and we learn everyday a bit..

No wands needed ;-) just commitment

That's hilarious!

Well, it's Z-health, another great example of fitness gurus taking a great idea, twisting it, missing the point, and selling $1,000+ cert courses.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaning forward it can give a bit better leverage to get to the groins. The more vertical position hits the quads a bit more strongly.

That information however will cost you absolutely nothing.

Hi Cole. I'm trying to put myself together a daily morning joint mobility routine. I came across Z-Health not long ago and considered looking into it. I don't know much about it but from your funny remark I'm assuming you ain't no fan. Subtly speaking, is it something one can live without? Any clarifying info would be appreciated as i value your experience in these matters

Bobby it's just not everything they claim it to be, and they use the claims to justify the expense.

However if you have the cash, and the system appeals to you go for it, it won't hurt you, only your wallet.

Joint mobility really isn't any big deal, much of it is common sense in my opinion. Move your joints through a full but not strained ROM.

I think Pavel's Super Joints is not a bad starting point as it's cheap just don't take it as Gospel. I'm personally use Shadow Yoga( with some other stuff i've picked up over the years), but it's warm really is just some very traditional gymnastic and martial arts techniques put into an easy package. Both of these resources will cost you much less then the Z-health, and have less potential of turning you into a neurotic.

Joshua Naterman
Just get up and move around for 15-20 minutes and add some band work. Joint mobility is not complex and you do not need to purchase anything in order to incorporate or make an area specific or full body routine.

This is more or less correct but there are a few items that really, really help. A foam roller is one, and a towel or arched back stretcher is another. I will post a video this weekend of my shoulder angle progress, and this is with zero stretching for the lats or serratus or anything else... all I have done is go back to basics and start training my upper back and neck extensors to extend the spine. Turns out my shoulder flexion is fine, it's the thoracic extension that was missing. Now I have a nearly perfect line.

This has also translated into a fairly slow rocking press with a pause in the middle, something that I always wondered if I could ever accomplish. It's not perfect, but it is remarkably good for the very small amount of specific work I have done. A properly conditioned, functionally perfect body can be taught to do almost anything fairly quickly. My upper back has been very dysfunctional and this has been the source of many problems.

Using these tools has made a big, big difference in my abilities overall, from HSPU to presses to planche, and that is without a huge amount of specific training.

Anyhow, I would include some sort of dowel or strap that allows you to perform inlocate/exlocates as well, and a bar to hang off of for German hangs. Very minimal, but you still need some stuff.

Bruno Cochofel
Just get up and move around for 15-20 minutes and add some band work. Joint mobility is not complex and you do not need to purchase anything in order to incorporate or make an area specific or full body routine.

This is more or less correct but there are a few items that really, really help. A foam roller is one, and a towel or arched back stretcher is another. I will post a video this weekend of my shoulder angle progress, and this is with zero stretching for the lats or serratus or anything else... all I have done is go back to basics and start training my upper back and neck extensors to extend the spine. Turns out my shoulder flexion is fine, it's the thoracic extension that was missing. Now I have a nearly perfect line.

This has also translated into a fairly slow rocking press with a pause in the middle, something that I always wondered if I could ever accomplish. It's not perfect, but it is remarkably good for the very small amount of specific work I have done. A properly conditioned, functionally perfect body can be taught to do almost anything fairly quickly. My upper back has been very dysfunctional and this has been the source of many problems.

Using these tools has made a big, big difference in my abilities overall, from HSPU to presses to planche, and that is without a huge amount of specific training.

Anyhow, I would include some sort of dowel or strap that allows you to perform inlocate/exlocates as well, and a bar to hang off of for German hangs. Very minimal, but you still need some stuff.

I prefer doing the thoracic extension with two massage balls instead of foam-roller, it really captures the pain to another level :mrgreen: and REALLY helps the opening of the shoulders...

Andrew Komarnyckyj

I'd like to know what you do exactly for the upper back and shoulder alignment. I have problems there myself. Would you care to post a video or an explanation of what your movement drills are?

I think Danny's comment was more directed at buying special programs or DVDs etc.....

That's true to a point, however, usually to learn something you have to pay something, it should just be in line with it's value. Education comes in many forms, i constantly learn new things and am happy to invest in it. Of course, nothing replaces finding a real person or group to work with as well.

In general one learns some system and then from that they 'truly' learn so it becomes their own and from there they can add. Moreover only on ones own usually leads to certain habits, and with mobility work, avoiding the stuff we don't like. Taking in outside info helps to see the holes.

It's not necessary, but it sure can be helpful.

Regarding the balls for Thoracic mobility - i have one question, why do you think that if it hurts more it's better? I personally believe that to be another myth, but i know that's not going to win me any points.

Bruno Cochofel

Regarding the balls for Thoracic mobility - i have one question, why do you think that if it hurts more it's better? I personally believe that to be another myth, but i know that's not going to win me any points.

Ok, I guess I've passed the wrong idea with that "pain to another level".. I've first started doing the thoracic extensions with the foam roller, it really gets you "relief" after. One day I did it with the balls, what I've noticed is that it goes deeper and is like finding tight spots that you cannot discover using the roller. The pain goes to another level simply because it allows you to go deeper in the SMR, in the tissues, and I can tell you that the feeling afterward is really more refreshing you really feel more loose, more open, mobility increases.. Simple test for me was after the bath, cleaning my back with the towel.. Some "corners" where difficult for me because my shoulders where not that mobile, now I can go way beyond that, I can place my arms way back without feeling I hit a tight spot that stops my movement.

So, basically, the pain level is greater, but I don't associate that with being better, it is simply because you can go deeper and hit tiny spots, and the results are better with the balls then with the roller, at least for me...

This is the massage balls I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gymnic-Reflex-M ... 459&sr=8-5