Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frog Planche -vs- Tuck Planche

ryantherobot

Frog Planche -vs- Tuck Planche.

I can hold the frog stand for about 12 seconds before my balance gives way on my wrists. The tuck planche I can hold for about 5 seconds though. Should I still worry about the Frog Planche or should I just skip it and work on that Tuck Planche?

Get 30 Seconds on it first (frog stand), 60 for me seems more as balance as strength requirements.

Then go for tuck planche, and tuck plache assist holds this helped me a lot in the beginning gave me a good step forward.

I wouldn't try to skip steps. I know it's tempting, but it's going to be a long road to the planche, and skipping steps can only backfire. If you can only hold the frog stand for 12 seconds, I'd say you still need to work that. It is a simple skill, but you have to master the foundation before you can build off of it.

the frog stand isn't just about holding yourself in the position, you should be actively trying to pull your body away from your elbows.

when i first started frog stand work i was just getting in the position and balancing.... now i can definately feel a difference in strength as im able to more effectively lift my body with my shoulders.

also an intermediate step between tuck planche and frog stand is doing the frog stand with straight arms.

• 1 month later...
Kamali Downey

I'm stuck in this in-between stage....

I can hold the frog stand for forever it seems like definitely a good 60s, but can't get 1 second of holding my legs up in the tuck planche...

anybody got any tips?

George Launchbury

Hi greekdawg,

1) Check your hips are level with shoulders ...with a camera - don't guess. It gets much easier if your hips are lower.

2) Try straight-armed variation as an interim exercise, which is harder than bent arm version.

Any help?

Regards

George.

John Filippini

Definitely start by doing the straight arm frog stand, it helped me a lot. Bent arms came to me lickety-split, 60s hold in no time. Then I tried tuck planche and didn't have a clue.

Currently working toward 60s straight arm frog stand, and having gotten about half way there I'm just starting to get a feel for being able to lift my knees a bit away from my arms. IMO lifting hips and straightening arms was just too much to do at once.

George Launchbury

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. It's great to hear when people are making good progress. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

George.

Kamali Downey
Definitely start by doing the straight arm frog stand, it helped me a lot. Bent arms came to me lickety-split, 60s hold in no time. Then I tried tuck planche and didn't have a clue.

Currently working toward 60s straight arm frog stand, and having gotten about half way there I'm just starting to get a feel for being able to lift my knees a bit away from my arms. IMO lifting hips and straightening arms was just too much to do at once.

Thanks for posting this. This is the route I will take.

And yes, George you are right, the straight arm frog stand is much harder. I will use that as my interim position until I have the strength to do the tuck planche holds.

I skipped the straight-armed frog and went to the tuck planche. At first I thought I was doing great, until I realized my hips and shoulders were supposed to be level. That's when I found out how hard it was. I just kept at it though. Right now my max hold is about 25 seconds. I wonder if I would have transitioned easier by doing a straight-armed frog.

I switched to using parallettes, and found that I could start with my hips and shoulders level instead of lifiting into position. I try both ways during my sets, but when you first start, maybe you can hold it longer if you start in the right position.