Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Extremely weak in the muscle up transition.

Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

Hello and happy new year everybody!

The name of the tread basically says what it is about. I have tried a lot of different things for developing the muscle up transition, but i havent found anything that can do for reps or do at all to be honest. Ive tried Russian dips after i saw slizzardmans video, which have been the closest thing i have found, but still i couldnt get any rom at all. The problem maybe that a havent found the right muscles to activate, but im not sure. I have tried doing footsupport muscle ups and muscle up negatives with little succses. Im pretty sure neither dipping or pulling strength is the problem. This is where im in both dipping and pulling. I can do XR Dips with 10 kg for 8 reps and one PB Dip with about 40. Pulling wise my 1RM are the following, chins with 32,5 kg and pull-ups with 25 kg.

So basically what im asking you guys is if you know some very basic method to develep the transition, so i at least will be able to do russian dips with some ROM

Regards, Andreas.

Philip Chubb

Have you tried doing tiger pushups? Get into a pushup position, then bring your elbows down to the ground. Then push with the triceps to lift back up to pushup position. I find this helps the transition of the muscle up when everything else is working well.

Niklas Slotte

How's your ROM in the dips and pull ups? Are you dipping way past parallel and pulling the bar to the chest on the max efforts? Because strength wise there shouldn't be a problem, as I see it, if the ROM is there.

Get a band for the russian dips. I've used deflated bike inner tubes and just cutting them and using them as a band. I also had plenty of these around (since I used to pop tires way too often).

Part of setting up russian dips is tinkering around with the width that the parallel bars are set. Play with it instead of just assuming that one setting such as elbow to fingertips or knuckles is correct.

Tighter shoulders makes the transition more difficult.

What helped me was to do negative russian dips as slow as possible. 15-20 reps 3 times a week and

negative muscleups also as slow as possible. i tried to stop in different possitions and hold this for 2-3 sec.

after 6 Weeks i did mit first muscle up :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions, can wait to try them out. Right now i cant do dips, due to a slight strain in my chest.

My ROM in dips is pretty good. When it comes to chest to bar pull-ups and false grip, they are both shit. Weak rhomboids and serratus anterior probably is the cause when it comes to my pull ups, which im working on. Do you guys think that hanging from the rings with a false grip is a good idea to strengthen the muscles involved?

Regards, Andreas.