Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Split pain

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

Hi,

I've been training the splits for quite a while now and I've noticed that I can't train them as frequently as I could before. I used to train the splits 30 minutes each day and I got incredibly close into the front-split within 3 weeks, but now I can't even stretch my legs for 15 minutes without having hamstrings pain on the very next day!

This really bothers me as I can now only train them once a week, so I have very little progression on them. What could be the reason for this?

The volume may have caught up with you. I believe stretching is still technically eccentric exercise (muscles lengthening) so you still need to rest a bit. I do 5 days a week myself and two for resting my legs and letting them recover. And I switch the stretches so it's more like 3-4 days of work for each stretch. Try not to rush it.

Yaad Mohammad
The volume may have caught up with you. I believe stretching is still technically eccentric exercise (muscles lengthening) so you still need to rest a bit. I do 5 days a week myself and two for resting my legs and letting them recover. And I switch the stretches so it's more like 3-4 days of work for each stretch. Try not to rush it.

Yes, but the problem is, as it is going right now, I can't even do them twice a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here. I'm doing 3 sets of the 3 splits (about 10-15 minutes, first two sets with and elevated box and the last set on floor with a light weight) two times a week, tuesday and friday. Sometimes when I'm doing the second day, I can't reach my maximum because I'm still sore from the last training. This is frustrating because sometimes I reach full split with right leg and almost left leg, but the sometimes I can't and I stay about 5/10cm from the full split. Maybe I should decrease to two sets only? I'm doing 3 because that's what I usually need to reach my max...

Can someone give any tip?

Thanks in advance,

Nuno

The tip is to simply stop going past what your body can handle. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is the splits. So first, make sure your volume isn't too high. If you injure yourself, you'll lose half your gains anyway. Next, it sounds like you're under recovered. Make sure nutrition is sound and if need be, for now put the days far apart. Maybe Monday and Thursday so there are two days to recover.

I just wrote an extensive answer and lost it. I'l try to capture some of it.

There are two philosophies on this. I've done both and they both work.

One is work out the soreness. This means you will actually have to add more daily volume to give your self time to warm up and get the soreness out of your legs so they will stretch. In my Ashtanga days, it was a 5-6 day a week schedule, minimum of two hours and often for me with all i was doing four. I was sore everyday, but the work of that practice got me warmed up gradually so it was possible to overcome it each session. This is tough though.

The second is to reduce the volume or intensity to the point that you can do what you are every third day. Any less and as you note you just recover in time to get back to where you were and there is not progress.

The second way is more humane and will allow you to keep focused on the strength work, which is something i'm now having to make up for. However, once you get to a certain point in the first method, it seems to stick pretty well, even at 49 i need little warm up to do splits etc now that i do the second method more.

I won't make the same mistake that I did some moths ago, I tried to get the splits fast and trained everyday. Of course about 4/5 days later, I couldn't barely move my legs and open them and it took almost 1 month to be full recovered.

I'll try to reduce volume to 2 sets and put more focus on a good warm up before doing them.

Thank you very much :)

Nuno

Quick Start Test Smith

Banzas, how much can you back squat/front squat/single leg squat and deadlift? I've never seen a lifter who could not easily get the splits in a few months (with isometrics) once he/she had pretty good squats and DL weights.

Quick Start Test Smith
I don't deadlift :) When I squat, which is really rare, I don't use weights.

Okay, well, IMO, (comma frenzy!) that is your problem.

Pardon me if you've already mentioned it, but do you perform P.N.F. (isometric, contract/relax, etc) stretching 2-3 times a week or is it just static stretching (relaxing into a stretch, passive, etc)? PNF is the fastest way to increase your flexibility (that I know of), but it barely works unless you are strong. Partly because it is a strength exercise at the full end ROM. The stronger you are the faster you will improve. I suggest working hard on your front squat and deadlift. Wendler's 5/3/1 program is great for squat and deadlift.

In fact, 5/3/1 is super easy for you to do (outside of the hard work of course) because there is an online calculator that can write the entire program for you. There are four parts to the total 5/3/1 program, bench, military press, deadlift, and squat. You can cut the bench and military press out and just use the squat and deadlift.

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Since we're clearly a non-scientific sample here I'll add my opinion on gaining the front split based on my experience. I worked daily, or nearly so, after every workout for 10-20 minutes. I didn't specifically target front splits when I started, it was really just a stretching routine. There was never a time when I couldn't do the next day exactly what I had done the day before due to pain, soreness, etc.

I will say that the body is a funny machine and there are days that it simply is more "open" and my range of motion is great while at other times it feels definately limited. Why, I don't know :?

So, perhaps, it's your programming and not the frequency nor duration that is the issue? I will say that personally I don't think I could specifically train for split, i.e. do nothing but split for 2 hours! Seems boring. But, oh yeah, like Cole, now that I have the split my prep time is much shorter. Though to be kind to myself I don't just drop into them as the potential for, em, discomfort is heightened...

Thank you and sorry about the commas :wink:

I'll try to do some squats and use other stretches too. I usually do passive stretching but I'll read about PNF and give it a try too.

Thanks for the tips :)

Quick Start Test Smith

I don't suggest intense PNF without significant strength first. If it's done correctly, it's pretty intense close to/at the end ROM where you are generally your weakest. Be careful.