Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

forearm pain

itisme

hey guys

im doing the killroy programm and it works pretty good, BUT:

when im doing the straight arm frog stand and the tucked back lever, my forearms hurt like hell at the moment i release my grip from the pullup bar / push up bars.

i mean during the exercise i feel pretty comfortable but as soon as my grip soften my forearms hurt like hell.

any tipps?

thx bye

Joshua Naterman

Yep: take a few steps back. Go back to german hangs, foot supported if necessary, straight arm planks with horizontal body, and 60s PB support. Then you'll be doing GH, slight planche leans, and XR support. Once all of that is solid with easy 30s holds (not as easy as it sounds when done perfectly, which is the requirement for moving on) you should have no problems.

It is also quite important to develop a 30+s regular floor L sit before starting planche work. Do the above and also start with hollow holds and build your way through the pre-reqs to a 30s L sit.

When you do that, you will have zero problems.

thank you.

maybe i should tell you the pain dont feels like musclepain, it feels like the bone hurts.

but i dont feel any pain during the tucked front lever or the straight arm frog stand on the floor (i only do them on pb because on the floor my wrists feel so "locked"), so is it really necessary to downgrade my routine?

and i do german hangs at my warm up routine and also as soon as i release the grip BAM...pain in both forearms.

and i do the l-sit also on the pb and dont feel any pain in my forearms which is curious because the whole bodyweight rest on the arms on the pb like SAFS.

bye

Joshua Naterman
thank you.

maybe i should tell you the pain dont feels like musclepain, it feels like the bone hurts.

but i dont feel any pain during the tucked front lever or the straight arm frog stand on the floor (i only do them on pb because on the floor my wrists feel so "locked"), so is it really necessary to downgrade my routine?

and i do german hangs at my warm up routine and also as soon as i release the grip BAM...pain in both forearms.

and i do the l-sit also on the pb and dont feel any pain in my forearms which is curious because the whole bodyweight rest on the arms on the pb like SAFS.

bye

It is the best idea, yes. You most likely either have some sort of tendinopathy or you have sprained the interosseous membrane of the forearms. Try using a strong compression wrap from the wrist to about halfway up the forearm and do a GH and then let go as normal and see if the feeling changes. If the pain is less or completely gone you most likely have sprained the interosseous membrane.

It is also possible that your wrist and/or elbow ligaments and/or tendons are not used to the stress you are placing on them and are sending pain signals upon release. This happened to me about 8 years ago when I was in Virginia Beach and jumped into rope climbs too quickly... quite awful!

No matter what is happening, some part of your body is not ready for it. You need to start from the beginning regardless, because if you do not you will learn improper positions that will limit your strength down the line, and the only way to fix it will be to start over from the beginning. The only thing that will really change is how much time you spend before either abandoning GB training in frustration or finally starting from the true beginning. I'm just doing that now, after about 2 years, and I can tell you 100% for sure that it is the right thing to do.

If a guy with my strength and years of training has to admit to that, I hope that everyone gets the message and starts from the beginning as well. It is worth it, and you CAN use other training methods or even other FBE to satisfy your need to maintain your strength. Just focus at least 70% of your total training time on the correct progressions, starting with the baby steps. The gains come faster than you might think, and before you know it you will be effortlessly passing your previous bests.

This applies to weight training as well, but that's a harder crowd to sell on proper training. Here things are much more obvious.

thank you man!

i really aapreciate the time/work you put in your post to help me!

so i think it is the right way to start from the beginning, but i have to say: i really dont know how and where to start.

i mean i searched for weeks to find a "optimal" routine/warm up/cool down, understand the SSC and all that stuff.

and i really dont know how to progress other then do 8 weeks the same routine and THEN to the progression, im pretty confused about that now.

also im a guy who likes everything very simple. ( i mean i dont want to mix barbell training with gymnastics and do some sandbag work and hey theres also space for sledgehammer training and whatever...feel me?)

i really like it pure and simple, not much equipment no complex barbell splits, just bodyweight training.

so if you could maybe tell me how to start i would be pretty happy, if not i understand that.

the thing is i never did any strenght training, only muay thai and little grappling so dont know much about how to build a workout or stuff like that.

bye

Slizz spelled it out start with the basic FSPs he listed. Add to that doing wrist pushups and the wrist/elbow routine (Stickies in joint pre-hab)

The same will apply to the FBEs, Start with the basics, push-ups and rows.

yes but im not a native speaker, so i dont understand everything perfect.

as is said before im doing the killroy routine.

every training day im doing FSP, wich includes: straight arm frog stand, tucked BL, tucked FL, handstand, L-sit.

yesterday i read this thred --> viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6735 and in part 5 the FSP`s are shown as warm up.

my questions are: is the fsp warm up in the thread above the warm up i should do before the FSP work OR is this the FSP work?

and no matter what, i should start with the "true beginner" part and continue SSC`s till i can perform every exercise 60 seconds and than move on to the "intermediate level" ?

thank you

bye

Joshua Naterman
yes but im not a native speaker, so i dont understand everything perfect.

as is said before im doing the killroy routine.

every training day im doing FSP, wich includes: straight arm frog stand, tucked BL, tucked FL, handstand, L-sit.

yesterday i read this thred --> http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... =17&t=6735 and in part 5 the FSP`s are shown as warm up.

my questions are: is the fsp warm up in the thread above the warm up i should do before the FSP work OR is this the FSP work?

and no matter what, i should start with the "true beginner" part and continue SSC`s till i can perform every exercise 60 seconds and than move on to the "intermediate level" ?

thank you

bye

No matter what, you should start with the true beginner part and continue SSC until you have 60s holds on everything, then move up a level. If you have made some decent progress with the actual FSP it is recommended that you do 1-2 holds of those per workout day just to maintain what you have accomplished, but don't actually try to do longer holds even when it gets really easy. Focus on the beginning stuff for now.

Coach includes all FSP work (which at the moment should be that beginning stuff) in his warm ups for his gymnasts, but you can do that stuff separately if you like. Most of us find that using the FSP as the ending part of a general warm up helps us to not focus too hard on the FSP and it also helps us perform better in our actual work sets. Some people like doing the FSP stuff at a completely different time of the day and that's fine too, and a few prefer to do the FSP after their workout (but that seems like the least good time to do them to me).