Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straddle Flexibility with Neutral Pelvis

Jon Dorsey

I did a search and couldn't find anything that addressed this exactly.

I've learned that to get past that "blocked" feeling in straddle I have to anterior-ly tilt my pelvis or have my legs in front of me like I'm sitting (which are the same thing really). I've heard that you can do a straddle with a neutral pelvis and externally rotated femurs, but I can't quite grasp how to do this. I'd like to be able to do a nice wide straddle in a handstand without compromising my body line, and I have seen people do this, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

This is a tough one... SMR and foam rolling the inside of the thighs can help, but you may need active release performed on these areas. It will be a very... personal touch, and probably painful. The adductors are a squeamish bunch of muscles.

On your own you can use PNF techniques to help speed the process up, but don't push too hard. You will probably go 4-6 weeks between noticeable flexibility increases. Stretching the hip flexors can also help.

PNF is basically where you go to the end of your comfortable ROM and then exert a maximal force against an unyielding object (partner, chair, rope, whatever) while in the stretch. The force will be directed exactly opposite of the stretch. If you're doing a split you will be trying to close your legs. Take 2-3 seconds to steadily increase the force to maximum and then hold it for 6 to 30s, depending on how your body responds... everyone is different. Regardless, after the contraction time relax and go deeper into the stretch. You only have about 1 second to take advantage of the temporary increase in flexibility after the contraction.

When you get to a point where you can't go any further you can hold the position for a while, but 60-120s is probably plenty. After that you are probably best off returning to a starting position and then repeating the whole process. Obviously, it will usually go much faster after the first cycle through during each stretching session.

Thank you for your reply Slizzardman. Forgive me for being unclear. I mean that when I do try to do a straddle with a neutral pelvis position, I feel a pain in the outside of my hip, underneath the abductors in the hip somewhere. It is a sharp stop to the range of motion and I'm not sure that PNF can help as I don't feel the stretch in my adductors at all.

I am familiar with this feeling because I used to try to stretch this way until I learned to tilt my pelvis in order to free up the hip. I had heard that one can do a straddle with a neutral pelvis if one externally rotates the legs, and I have tried this but it doesn't seem to make a difference. In a seated straddle, or a standing straddle with my pelvis tilted forward and my back arched I am close to full splits so I don't think the adductors are the problem. I think, if this move is possible, I just can't grasp the right position/posture. As I stated previously, I'd like to be able to do this to maintain a straight body line during handstands. Once again thank you.

EDIT: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7754

That's a thread that discusses basically exactly what I am talking about, but doesn't offer any solutions.

I guess my search for similar topics wasn't too good. :oops:

Joshua Naterman

True. You may want to find someone who can perform some distraction + mobilization of the hip. Mulligan technique, I believe, is one. Chiropractors will probably know how to do this. A distraction version of a hip scour test could also be used. You can't do this by yourself, it's impossible... unfortunately.

I suggest this because it is possible that you have some tissue getting impinged in the hip joint and the above techniques may allow it to be freed up.

It is also possible that your pelvis may be shaped in such a way that you simply can not do what you are trying to do.

Joshua Naterman
I will investigate these techniques (i.e. make my girlfriend do them all :wink: ). Thank you for all your help Slizzardman.

HAHAHA!!! Good luck!

It sounds like there may be some impingement going on.

480-hip-anatomy.jpg

Looking at the picture above, you can see if you just spread (abduct) your legs the femur and the pelvis can potentially come in contact. They have to rotate one way or the other relative to each other to prevent this. Different people will have different contact angles.

So to do the splits the pelvis can either be rotated forward or backward to get the clearance. There are some that believe it's better to rotate back because it puts less stress on the sacrum. I've done both and find that to be true at least in the long run, and now do most of my side splits or pancake work with a slightly 'rounded' back.

I don't think the pressure you are feeling is something you can stretch out, it's more a matter of finding the right positioning for yourself. That doesn't let you off the hook though, if you want to get the split, you really have to consistently work at it. Just know if there is a feeling of pressure in the hips, it may be telling you something.