Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist problem

Uzeeh

Hello!

About ten days ago, I trained the one-armed elbow lever pretty vigorously - everywhere I could, really, school, tables etc. Then, in the morning, it hurt like hell, and I could not do anything with it, no pushups, handstanding, nothing. The pain was very bad. I just thought it was 'cause I'd been working too much on the skill without essential wrist prehab, so I started doing wrist pushups - they don't hurt at all, nor do false grip holds.

Anyway, it's been ten days, and nothing has happened - the pain is as strong as it was before. I lined the area in the below picture. Do you think it's just some straining, or could it be a nerve injury or something? How should one treat it? I thought of massaging the forearm, but dunno if that would help.

Thanks in advance if anybody could help me :) This just reminds me, that even if I'm fifteen, I can still injure myself, and should do more prehab, lol.

Nyttkuva2011-12-19kohteessa203657.png

That's a pretty common area for wrist pain to pop up in gymnastics.

First step is to lay off your wrists for awhile. Try at least 2-3 days. Some might say do whatever you can without pain but it may be sensible to do as little as possible which means no hang work either or parallette work.

Joshua Naterman

Test by slowly stretching into ulnar deviation, and then perform loaded radial deviation. use google or youtube to find out what that means. Sorry to state it like that, I don't want to write it all out. This will help you figure out whether you strained your tendons or ligaments or both. It's not a nerve injury. It is possible, but unlikely, that you damaged a bone. Hook of the hamate could be damaged, but it is much more likely a soft tissue condition.

• 4 weeks later...

One arm elbow levers and air babies were THE wrist killers for me the last summer. I took a long break (3weeks if i remember correctly)from handbalancing and just did insane amounts of wrist conditioning with some ring/straps work that didnt hurt. Pain went away and my wrists are now better than ever. Still do multiple sets of (p)rehab every day though, otherwise would end up in same situation with wrists i think. Wrist conditioning is crucial part of balancing work in every session!

I've seen a doctor, took an X-ray but didn't find anything. He told that i should rest for a while.

So, after about two weeks from the initial injury, I tried a handstand, and the pain was unbearable. It made the pain very bad for a long time. It's still very, very sore in the area I described. I can't put any weight on it, unless I'm on my fingers or knuckles. The pain is also on the back of my hand, in the wrist bones, when I put weight on it - only in extension/hyperextension, though. When teh wrist is relaxed or flexed, there isn't any pain. It feels like some tendon is really tight right now and pulling the wrist, preventing proper extension.

I can't extend my wrist any more than about 30-40°, when in my left hand I can extend it the full 90°.

If I use help from my other hand, I can at times extend the wrist properly.

Any help would be needed :)

And Slizz, I didn't understand the sites enough. Sorry :oops:

Joshua Naterman

That's ok, you have no visible bone damage. Time to start rehab exercises. Stop being silly, no handstands for at least 8 weeks. Not to test, not for fun, not because you're drunk. No handstands.

Wrist rehab work multiple times per day, super slow movements is a good idea. For a while, single sets done 1-3x per day is going to work better for you because your wrists will probably not handle the volume of multiple sets.

Slow wrist roller with like 5 lbs or less, slow gripper work, slow loaded ulnar and radial deviation, slow pronation/supination with a load. Youtube will have tons of videos, but you should really do whatever your PT has you do at first, and slowly add other movements into your program. There are no guidelines anyone can give you other than to listen to your body and only do what it likes.

Alessandro Mainente

the only real solution is rest...i saw my aunt who is an orthopedic..i don't have lesion or something concerned with tendons or broken bones...in fact i can do rounds movements with wrist without problem and i don't feel pain with touch..

can be a initial infammation in the ulnar triangular fibrocartilage, is a typical injury wher there is an axial compression ver 45-50° of the wrist plus an ulnar deviation (expecially with overuse)..expecially if your wrist are not used with great ROM (like elbow lever)..the problem is that if you warm up you don't feel pain..so you train everytime with injury aggravating it!!

so this injury need only rest...ice and rest, try to not use the wrist in extension..with the time the ROM will increase little by little week to week..so that you can start to do some strength for forearms...

use a neutral grip like pbars or rings..

this injury can take 10-12 weeks to heal or much...