Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Artificially manipulating COG to help in balancing work?

John Sapinoso

John Sapinoso

Had an idea the other day for OAHS and was wondering if anyone has tried it. Or if anyone with experience in hand balancing, physics, or both (calling out to Yuri :lol: ) could comment on it's value as a tool for someone who does not work directly with an instructor. Once my wrists are properly conditioned I'm going to give it a shot.

OAHS with a weight vest and / or with ankle weights. Abandon proper physics all ye who read my explanations.

-The thinking behind the weight vest would be to artificially lower my center of gravity without changing my position so that any forward to back/ side to side motion would be minimized and correcting it would be easier.

-The thinking behind the ankle weights is to increase the moment of inertia so as to decrease the amount of rotation and correcting it would be easier.

Once a desired level of mastery of a certain level of handicap is reached, weight is progressively removed giving the user more variability to deal with. I'm not sure if it would require more, less, or equal force to make a correction, but I have feeling that these handicaps would in effect 'slow' the errors giving the user more time to make the connection and correct it. Feel free to slap me with some fundamental laws of physics if I've overlooked something egregious.

i used 10lbs of ankle weights for a while... helps to reduce hip movement because you'll have no room for error.

weight vest doesn't sound like it would be all that effective

yuri marmerstein

Eventually the idea is to have enough awareness of your own weight distribution that you will be able to balance with weight in all kinds of weird places.

In my opinion weight vest is not a good idea as it will throw off your alignment and can make it harder to catch a good position once you remove it.

How heavy a vest are we talking? I imagine not very big but it still could cause a distraction

Ankle weights, however can be helpful. In a wide straddle having more weight on either side will make it easier to balance as now tiny leg movements will have a much greater effect.

This is not something I would use in regular practice though.

In the end you will have to suffer a bit and be patient while you learn to find the feeling of one arm balance

LOL, not that I have any particularly useful input but it does make the mind wander. From a physics point of view I was thinking more along the lines of Taipei 101 and install a tuned mass damper between your legs. :)

John Sapinoso

Guys,

Thanks for your tips, I really appreciate all of these bits of help. As I don't yet have any in-person instructor, I've been scouring other sources for little nuggets here and there.

:D