Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bent Arm Exercises Needed for Straight Arm Positions?

Justin Kyle

Hey everyone, hope you all are doing well. My situation right now is that bent arm pressing movements such as pushups and handstand pushups are slightly painful for my shoulder; however no straight arm movements are...very strange. I was going to have surgery on my shoulder; however, after consulting with several doctors it seemed to be unnecessary to do it at this moments since I can modify my exercises in order to achieve the goals I want (planche, front lever, and presses from L/straddle L) without having pain or further damage to my shoulder. Now, in the book and other sources of achieving a planche, bent arm exercises (pseudo planche pushups/tuck planche pushups) are always suggested in order to strengthen the position in order to move up in the progression. My question is, what exercises would be most effective in improving my planche (L and straddle L press I almost have) that do not involve a bent arm exercise in order see further progress? So far I am doing a lot of L-sit to tuck planche and planche leans on the floor and also on a swiss ball. I know this is strange but any suggestions would be great! God bless

Justin

Besides what you are doing, rings.

However, right now might just be a better time to figuring out what is wrong with your shoulder and fixing it rather than finding a workaround.

Blairbob got a point. It is not normal if you feel pain with basic pushups. First check with doctors, then probably you will must scale down even basic exercises, to strengthen that area. I dont recommend to push through pain, it will be worst. Some words of consolation for you: most people after recover from injury and good rehabilitation with patience, become stronger then before. This is not magic, injury force them to do it properly and easy from the start. This is hard way to learn, but more or less we all have that experience sometimes.

My injury is a very minor injury to my subscapularis that does not need surgery according to several doctors I have visited with. As long as I monitor my exercises, then I will not need surgery. The injury arose from my shoulder flexibility being too great as in my glenohumoral joint being larger than normal and allowing my humerus to be prone to dislocation. After revisiting the doctor after extensive rehab work, my shoulder appeared to tighten up or be more stable. Anyways, I have heard both cases of shoulder surgery turning out great and some not so great... highly individualized. If I feel the need in the future to have surgery on it due to lack of progression or increased soreness and pain I will do so. But like I said, any straight arm work does not affect it and it is not basic pushups that hurt it but PPP on rings and deep ROM HSPU that do. I appreciate the honesty in both of your comments... very valuable. Besides additional ring work, can you think of anything else? God bless guys

Justin