Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WODs for Dummies

Larry Roseman

Larry Roseman

Coach(s) mostly I've been doing steady state cycles and some easy variations of ring strength.

I'm wondering if someone has ever extracted a handful of representative WODs that

could be used in a steady state cycle, scaled as neccessary?

Scaling varies by individual, but short of showing every possiblity, having a beginner, adv-beginner and intermediate

level to choose from would help. And a full length term, along with the 1-5 letter acronynm. Even better, accompanied by videos!

It's crazy to ask, but it's something I'd pay something for. Perhaps others would too.

I think it would help people get into the WOD. Me certainly. They are tons more complicated than say

a typical crossfit WOD for example which is like do pullups, run 200m, do pushups, run 200m, etc, and

really need more explanation for newbies I feel, who don't have the familarity to dissect and

and rebuild the WODs, even with the book, the acronynm chart, and web posts at hand.

Aaron Griffin

I think this is a great idea. Here's my current understanding.

We have a handful of rotating WODs:

Ring Strength

Jumping / Sender

Handstands

Legs

Pressing

Pulling

Now, these aren't really indicative, it's just a recent list I've found. The handstand WODs are all pretty similar, as are the sender WODs. Pulling/pressing WODs vary pretty wildly, though

Larry Roseman
I think this is a great idea. Here's my current understanding.

We have a handful of rotating WODs:

Ring Strength

Jumping / Sender

Handstands

Legs

Pressing

Pulling

Now, these aren't really indicative, it's just a recent list I've found. The handstand WODs are all pretty similar, as are the sender WODs. Pulling/pressing WODs vary pretty wildly, though

That's what I'm taking about :)

If there are a lot of basic key movements missed in a single pull and press there could be a few more of those. It's not going to be ideal for long-term use, but as a start it would empart familarity to the system and many of the core moves at intro levels, without having to DIY completely. At least that's my thinking. Someone familar enough would need to go through the selected WODs, expand upon them and write them up for different levels. Video it. And bingo, there is a complete WOD program that we can go through every 2-3 weeks perhaps, upleveling after some time. (The actual ratio of each type in the WODs should be maintained as closely as possible within a shorter cycle).

I don't know if is the same or nets out the same as killroy, however to me since it's based on the actual WODs, it will

lend towards naturally advancing into them.

Vincent Stoyas
Seems unnecessary if one a) owns the book and b) scales the WODs to meet the necessary rep requirements.

Is it simply a scaling problem?

That does seem tough. If this WOD packet came about, then who would need the book?

Scaling the WOD isn't so tough, it can be at times, but you'll grow accustomed to it quickly.

Larry Roseman

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think the average joe/Josephine who isn't a strength athlete or trying to become one

can work in 2 good strength sessions per week. once every 3 to 4 days.

I would like to do WODs however I can't 4 days per week. It varies between 1-3 in my case.

It varies depending on various factors.

So then what some of the options? Jump on the current WOD, do an old one, or do a set

of your own exercises as per kilroy or another model. If you jump on the current WOD

and don't follow the sequence, it will end up unbalanced. If you chose one or a few you have

worked with before, it will end up unbalanced. If you do a set of your own choosing,

there is a good chance it will end up being unbalanced.

If you follow the old WODs in the order they are presented, which is balanced,

but you are left with the task of translating each WOD which is time consuming,

cross referencing the acronyms that aren't known or forgotten. Then more cross referencing the book

or internet for details about the exercise. And more cross referencing the videos when available (not always though).

And then figuring out how to scale it appropriately. It's time consuming.

I want to train to relieve myself of stress, not add to it.

Having a sequence of standard workouts fully detailed in one place is

very appropriate for beginners, and will help take us to the next level.

That's my opinion. It might be hard to do, might not be - I would do it I were qualified to but I'm not.

I can play with the above WOD and see where that takes me, but if there is a coach or advanced person who wants to attempt it, perhaps we can work something out if a cost is involved, if that's OK to do.