Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Density training

Ian Legrow

Hello All!

I have recently heard about something called density training. The only thing i know about it is it is supposed to help with strength in a much different way then "conventional methods" so to speak, although that's not the right phrase for it. I am curious now, what exactly does density training do? Does it give you hypertrophy (not that that's a concern of mine) or just strength or both? Is there a certain point when you should not do it? I.E if i can onyl do a 3s FL Tuck (although mine is longer) would density training be a smart thing or stupid? I was wondering if at some point i should integrate this in my training with things besides Wall HS. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

-Ian

Charles Staley and Bryce Lane are the guys i know of that brought that style of training. It's good in it's own right builds strength and mass, and a good way to break through plateaus as well. I think you were asking about intensity earlier, this is the other end, manipulating volume.

Google Staley and Escalating Density Training (EDT) and you will find a lot of good info.

Bryce isn't as well known, but interesting in his own right. Here's a link to his site

http://www.ironsports.tv/

I should say though, where you are at, the Kilroy format will be your best bet, get focused, use a simple program that gives results. You could structure a Kilroy as EDT in fact, but the main thing is stick with the program for long enough to see some results.

What I have been doing is the SSC. I actually tried to look up Killroy's template yesterday and could not for the life of me find it. I looked on google for 15 minutes as well, (though on google i will say that brought up a lot of steroid advertisements, hahah!) I don't know if you have seen my workout log, but it consists of a push, pull, leg and core and I use the SSC. I will gladly take your advice if you still think Killroy's template is wise, but could you show me where i go to see what Killroy's template is? I have heard all about it but have never actually seen a website describing what it is and such.

Thank you as always!

-Ian

Well that is the essential idea of the Kilroy scheme. It's a sticky in the Rings section, which is maybe not the best place for it. Coach would like to see beginners using Kilroy or the WODs.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1957

I'm sure you've read it before and just didn't realize that's it.

OH yes! I actually read this the other day, because i sit behind a desk at work and no one cares if you surf the internet if we are slow so i have read almost every thread on the web site. Yes I found that very interesting. I would need to study the template for a couple of days to understand it fully, because sometimes i don't understand things, but it sounds interesting. I do not like asking so many questions, but I have found that its really the only way to fully understand.

Day 1 - horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE

Day 2 - curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations (RTO dips, etc..) FBE

Day 3 - pullup and HeSPU variation FBE

Day 4 - multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

This obviously means after FSP. but i am still slightly confused. Let's take day one. Does that mean I do for different exercises in the horizontal plane? I really only know two? FL rows and Push up variations.

I used to do the WOD's and i am not saying they are not helpful by any means, but i found i was spending 30 minutes trying to figure out how to scale the work outs, because I was not sure what was too little or too much at that point, and i still have trouble with that. If you asked can you do 3x10 pull ups, i would tell you yes becasue ib my head that is easy, by a lot of the time my head answers without asking my body first. Its kind of like that saying "eyes bigger then your stomach" when talking about how much someone is eating. I was the same way with the WOD's.

I actually found a clearer post he did while looking through. It makes sense. I will debate whether I should do that or the WOD's after january 1st (when my ssc ends). Unless what i am doing works for me more, but idk, the WOD's were very helpful when i did them, i just couldn't scale for the life of me