Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder injury refuses to heal

RatioFitness

About 6-8 weeks ago I hurt my shoulder in BJJ.

My rolling partner had my arm trapped across my body. To be specific, he was holding my arm in horizontal abduction. I was resisting against this and right after I got out is when I started to feel the pain.

To this day I can't do all exercises pain free. Nothing overhead. I've only been doing a few select exercises that don't cause pain. Some horizonal pulling and pull ups. Throwing the ball for my dog still hurts. The pain feels like it's in my deltoid.

I'm 30 years old. Probably means I'm done. I hate getting old.

Gavin Strelitz

Have you been for physio? I had a sore and stiff deltoid and sub scap and after one physio session I felt much better and now feel close to 100%.

Can ya go see a chiropractor. Expensive per visit but maybe possible.

Lay off the shoulder. Just completely. Slowly introduce mobility work. Maybe band work.

Richard Duelley

I am just getting back back from a shoulder injury myself. If nothing is torn completely (ie surgery cant fix it) then it takes a long time for soft tissues to heal. It took my shoulder about 6 months to 'feel' normal but I still had mobility and stability issues. I did VERY light mobility/PT until my doctor gave me the ok. Look up Ido Portals shoulder mobility/prehab stuff and just as Blairbob said, take it slow, very slow. I am of the mindset that I would rather spend some extra time taking it easy (even if I could push hard and recover faster) than re injuring and then have to start all over again.

Try trigger points. A little bit of knowledge and a tennis ball or similar is all you'll need to try it and it may help not only this injury but others in future.

This book is good - you can probably get it from your library. Or googling should reveal some common trigger points for the shoulder.