Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Girls Can Do Rings Too!!

Coach Sommer

That was a great routine.

Is there any age limit for girls to start?

I wish to promote it among girls I know and they are very hesitant.

Has she been training with the coach for long?

My progress is real slow as I am learning slowly from my mistakes.

keep it going, by the way the facebook page is great and I hope all such videos are uploaded in fb, this way I can share with girls I know.

Paul SONNEVILLE

Hello,

Nice moves,

It makes me sad also, since I am still not able to do a simple muscle-up although I have quite the strength in pull-ups and dips now, I am a bit jealous :(

Anyway, nice to see women are able to perform men strength series, too.

Keep it up,

PSon

Joshua Naterman
That was a great routine.

Is there any age limit for girls to start?

I wish to promote it among girls I know and they are very hesitant.

Has she been training with the coach for long?

My progress is real slow as I am learning slowly from my mistakes.

keep it going, by the way the facebook page is great and I hope all such videos are uploaded in fb, this way I can share with girls I know.

We had a 72 year old physical therapist who was stronger than about half the guys and had only started like 2 years before.

More than anything, age is just an excuse to stay home and veg out! No one knows how far anyone will go until they find out themselves, but as long as you observe the same cautions about advanced ring strength that Coach has mentioned there is no upper limit for boys OR girls.

I've been training GB for 3 years and I still haven't achieved what this girl has. I must have worse genetics for strength than a girl! :?

John Sapinoso

@amanda, true not as polished but I was impressed by your lock and ring turn out at the top of each support. Your pulling strength, both bent and straight (FL and rev MU) were solid. Excellent work.

@radiofitness don't attribute their progress to superior genetics these women are working hard. Are you :wink: ?

We had a 72 year old physical therapist who was stronger than about half the guys and had only started like 2 years before.

More than anything, age is just an excuse to stay home and veg out! No one knows how far anyone will go until they find out themselves, but as long as you observe the same cautions about advanced ring strength that Coach has mentioned there is no upper limit for boys OR girls.

As a 28 year old guy who just started out and is struggling with doing one basic pull-up, this is humbling and inspirational. Thanks slizzardman for telling us.

And the MU in the vid was awesome! By my standards anyway... I don't see any hesitation or pause. Wow!

Desiree Walker

Of course girls can do rings!!! Sure wished I had started training on these earlier! very grateful I found out about Coach Sommer and gymnastic bodies! It has really transformed my training approach. the strength benefits I've gained from rings training surpass any modality I've incorporated in the the past. And I'm sure many of you can attest to that too! ---- I was amazed at the GB seminar with the age ranges and abilities - it was very inspiring for me.

I am still such a beginner - the process of teaching your body more - and perfecting what you do always excites me. I don't even think of it as working out anymore - I'm just a movement junkie that enjoys purposeful and organized training sessions. Nice to have access to such as wealth of knowledge with this community. I need some critiques on some of my skills now as I'm progressing with the ring series ---- soon as I get a chance to video them -- I have them up for some tips!

Amanda- that is awesome!!! Wish you were closer - and I have a training buddy! it would be a fun time for sure. I just put up 2 sets of rings - a climbing rope and stall bars inside my house - -- even got my hubby working on some of the basics with me--he is really starting to incorporate this style of training into his traditional workouts and is starting to really feel the benefits you gain from movement in multiple planes. Can't get any my girl friends on board though ---they just think I'm crazy - which is true :lol:

ts00nami - thanks for the posting your some wods - - very cool set ups you have! - they help a lot with the visualization of the movements - good stuff!

@ts00nami - thanks for your words, really appreciated. You're such a machine, as Desi says, watching your WODs is very helpful and inspiring.

@desi It would be awesome to train with you! Maybe when I can do back tucks for conditioning I'll head Stateside and pay you a visit :) . I love having my rings at home, and like you, I've introduced them to hubby. Your setup sounds great - climbing rope and stall bars, yay! Thanks again for setting a benchmark and showing the world it is possible :)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with all the posts here is that there NO "man moves" or "woman moves". It's all sexist and misogynist. I take aerial straps class where girls are stronger than guys who're taking the class. That's right. These girls do levers both ways and muscle ups and other, harder stuff, that's not done on rings, but done on straps.

I do admit I personally am having a problem with front lever, BUT I started aerial training at age 37, being extremely weakened after severe car accident (at 35 years old I could not ever LOWER myself into a push up, that's how weak I was)--with existing shoulder issues--no trainers/coach or anything, on monkey bars in jungle gyms (and yes, I took a fall and broke my tail bone because I had NO mats or spotter, ever, hard ground)--so I'm not the one to look at what women are capable of, for sure. Young person who never survived disabling accident and has artistic gymnastics background would be more like someone to look at to compare with male gymnasts. Girls are brainwashed not to do that stuff, otherwise they can be hellishly strong. By the way, not only aerial straps, rope/corde lisse can be very hard as well, as hard as you chose to make it (say, use one arm where you use two) and girls do rope, and they do acro on rope (jumping off, spiining in air and catching up)

Joshua Naterman
The problem with all the posts here is that there NO "man moves" or "woman moves". It's all sexist and misogynist. I take aerial straps class where girls are stronger than guys who're taking the class. That's right. These girls do levers both ways and muscle ups and other, harder stuff, that's not done on rings, but done on straps.

I do admit I personally am having a problem with front lever, BUT I started aerial training at age 37, being extremely weakened after severe car accident (at 35 years old I could not ever LOWER myself into a push up, that's how weak I was)--with existing shoulder issues--no trainers/coach or anything, on monkey bars in jungle gyms (and yes, I took a fall and broke my tail bone because I had NO mats or spotter, ever, hard ground)--so I'm not the one to look at what women are capable of, for sure. Young person who never survived disabling accident and has artistic gymnastics background would be more like someone to look at to compare with male gymnasts. Girls are brainwashed not to do that stuff, otherwise they can be hellishly strong. By the way, not only aerial straps, rope/corde lisse can be very hard as well, as hard as you chose to make it (say, use one arm where you use two) and girls do rope, and they do acro on rope (jumping off, spiining in air and catching up)

May I ask why you have such a chip on your shoulder? I don't know if you realize it or not, but you come across as a bit of an extremist.

There is no disputing the fact that the rings are a men's event in the sport of gymnastics, and that makes the moves on rings traditionally male exercises.

Desi, with a simple video and no harsh words, has shown women that they can be beautiful and attractive while displaying feats of strength almost exclusively practiced by the male athletic population. She has also shown every man on this forum that she is stronger than the majority of us, pound for pound, and she has not put anyone down or made anything but humble remarks in the process. Desi has displayed nothing but extreme grace, extreme strength, and a quiet pride in her accomplishments that does a hell of a lot more to dispel the ideas that a pretty woman can not be strong and attractive at the same time, or that women can't do ring strength.

Many people may not remember Akrajen, and I don't know where she has gone, but she is also extremely strong and she also has not felt the need to espouse the greatness of females over males or accuse men of being misogynistic bastards or whatever it is that your message is.

The greatest social changes have always come from people simply ASSUMING THE ROLE of whatever change they want to make and being vocal about simply looking for equality when asked why they want what they want, not making accusations of misogyny or racism or superiority that inflame public opinion against them. If you want to further the equalization of men and women in the minds of the random public at large your best approach will simply be to enjoy your accomplishments, learn to get past whatever inner rage prompts you to be so accusatory (without losing your pride in yourself as a woman and a person, obviously), and just be a PERSON. Just be here, enjoy Desi's performance, show us what you are doing if you wish to, and enjoy the recognition that you will get regarding your efforts. Ask for guidance if you want any, and learn to be what you so clearly want to be: a person who is respected for what they have accomplished.

I don't know if you meant it to or not, but this came off as extremely rude.