Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help creating workout

kevinmcrockett

kevinmcrockett

Hello to All,

I was hoping i could get some help from some of you that are more experienced with gymnastic training. I have no experience with it. I am a MMA fighter who see's that advantages to using gymnastic training with my regimine. I bought coach Sommer's book and learned alot of what i believe are good work outs. I just could not figure out how to put it all together. My main questions are how many exercises a day should be done for Static and Regular, and how should i mix them together or do you do one before the other. Please Help.

Example 1:

- Prerequisites (plank, reverse plank, hollow body, arch body, dead hang) Work for 60 sec each (split if you can´t hold them 1 x 60 sec)

Choose a FBP (static) and work 60 sec time split in sets. (your max time for FL is 30 sec --> then work sets of 15 sec = 4 series until you complete the 60 sec time)

- Add pull/push FBE (dips, pushups, pullups, rows...) 3 sets of 5 repetitions. Choose an exercise that allows you to do the selected reps. Always try to complete them in good form. No more than 5-6 reps (remember you want to build power). If you can make 7 or 8 reps choose a more challenging exercise

- Leg work (pistols, box jump, GHR) Do shorts sets. 5-6 reps.

- Cool down, stretches, abdominal/obliques exercise

kevinmcrockett

Your saying i should only do one FBE per plane. So for upper body pressing i should choose from pushup variations, dip variations, and handstand pushup variations but do not do one of each for upper body pressing?

kevinmcrockett

I thought that is what you meant i just wanted to make sure. So i would only be performing four total FBE per day? I am sorry if i being a pain i just want to get it right before i start.

kevinmcrockett

From what i have read i believe coach Sommer says that the SSC program is the most effective. Below is my proposed program. Any corrections or input would be appreciated.

HeSPU-box = 3x5 followed by frog stand = 60's

Pull-Ups = 3x5 followed by front lever-tuck = 60's

V-Ups = 3x5 followed by Manna MSH bent = 60's

Jumping Deck Squats = 3x5 followed by wall squats = 60's

I would do this work out M,T, Th, F if i understand correctly.

Wall squats are lame. Just hold a squat stance. Even then, that's not a lot of lower body work.

Real manna work should only be focused on after a solid L and straddle-L sit.

I would do the FSP first, but that's my preference.

kevinmcrockett

I realize that is not a lot of lowerbody work but you had just said one FBE per plane so i chose one for each. If i can do more i am all for it but i am trying to understand this work out and follow it but i guess to more questions i ask the more i am confused. The reason i listed FSP after FBE is because i thought that that was how you did a SSC work out which in the BTGB coach Sommer says that is the most effective way. I do appreciate the recommendation for just holding a squat versus a wall squat since i did not see any FSP's that would be similar for lower body FBE.

Joshua Naterman

The best way to learn is by doing. Start with what you have, do a cycle and see how it works. Make some modifications or additions if you want to or feel that you can handle them, and then see how the next cycle works out for you. Each person is different, and none of us can figure this out for you. We are here to offer support as you go through cycles but you need to do something before asking if this is enough or too much... we can't tell you for sure. Go find out, the best we can do is tell you if something is missing and in the end it will lead all the way back to the prerequisites, handstand work, and starting the WODs.

If you have already completed the prerequisites and you have gone through SSCs to where you are now then that's fine, but if not we are all going to recommend that you start at the beginning. In the end that's what we all end up doing, so if you haven't done that I do recommend that you save all the time you will waste if you do all sorts of experiments trying to skirt around the beginning stuff and just start there now. You may move through a good portion of it quickly, and that's fine, but start there and go step by step.

kevinmcrockett

Thank you for the reply. For some reason i am not on the same page. I want to start from the begining, but how can i start with out some sort of plan? I am trying to follow what i read and think i understand in the book but then i get feed back that is different which is making me very confused. I am sure part of the problem is that i am black and white. One thing that has confused me is that i am told one FBE per plane then the next reply is that its not enough. PLEASE help. I know everone is different but there has to be a plan, some sort of base that everyone works from then goes from there.

Joshua Naterman
Thank you for the reply. For some reason i am not on the same page. I want to start from the begining, but how can i start with out some sort of plan? I am trying to follow what i read and think i understand in the book but then i get feed back that is different which is making me very confused. I am sure part of the problem is that i am black and white. One thing that has confused me is that i am told one FBE per plane then the next reply is that its not enough. PLEASE help. I know everone is different but there has to be a plan, some sort of base that everyone works from then goes from there.

Not having the full prerequisite tree publicly available is problematic, and I'm sorry about that. Here's what we can share so far:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4313&p=33196&hilit=prerequisites#p33196

many programmin questions regarding these are handled here:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7447&p=66509&hilit=prerequisites#p66509

That probably won't handle EVERYTHING but it should come close!

1 FBE per plane per workout is fine, but if you're using them all the time you won't necessarily get the best results... This is a fuzzy area. You will probably want to experiment with this yourself and see what you think. You may have fun setting up 3 weekly workouts, where you do foot supported rows Monday, FL rows Wednesday, and Bulgarian rows Friday. Assuming you can do them all properly.

You can't do everything every day, it's too much, and you don't have to try and hit every plane every day individually. Some days using multiplane work will still hit each individual plane they move through, such as Yewkis hitting vertical and horizontal pulling planes. If you do that you don't need to worry about doing a bunch of pull ups and rows that day, you just do them the next day.

This is very individual and gets complicated quickly, which is why we all tend to recommend moving over to the WODs fairly quickly. They pretty much guarantee that nothing ever gets missed. You have to know the exercises well enough, and be humble enough, to scale appropriately but that's not such a big deal. Like everything, it's tough at first but quickly becomes second nature.

kevinmcrockett

Thank you for your patience and info. Your reply cleared up alot. How much rest time should their be between reps of FBE and sets.

Vincent Stoyas
Thank you for your patience and info. Your reply cleared up alot. How much rest time should their be between reps of FBE and sets.

Not to sound rude, but did you even bother to research or read what coach has provided? Here's what was in the Killroy template that Coach linked to you.

Personally, I do all the FSP statics in rounds, so I do BL, then PL, then FL, then straddle-L (manna is far away and there isn't really a point to do L anymore-though I do lots of L drills). So, I do them all with a short rest, typically walking from station to station and then rest for 45-90s.

And in regards to FBEs

As well I pair the push/pull FBE with 5m rest periods...

It may seem daunting, but take your time and read through these forums. Probably 99% of the questions you have right now will have been answered when you take your time to look through them. Plus, it'll allow you to better understand everything as a whole and will prove extremely beneficial in the long run.

kevinmcrockett

This is exactly what i mean, you did not answer what i asked, i asked how much time between reps and sets for FBE's, again FBE's not FSP. and you gave me an attachment from Blairbob on FSP's which i did not ask the rest time, then you gave me an attachment for FBE's also from Blairbob that said 5 min rest period which did not specify if that was between sets or reps. Not to sound rude but did you ever take the time to read my posting. Maybe this forum is just too advanced for me.

Joshua Naterman

You need to read more about the volume and intensity relationship, but the general rule is this : Whatever it takes to perform the next set correctly is the right amount of rest.

easier exercises will obviously require less rest than harder exercises for this reason.

For what you are proposing, 2-5 minutes is the rest period you will most likely need, but you need to find out for yourself. This is very individual and everyone figures it out through trial and error.