Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand shoulder dislocation, feels bad man.

Xenoslice

Hello,

I have been working on CC/BTGB progressions for a couple months. I am 6'2" 195 lbs. I could easily maintain a headstand and could hold a crow stand for 1 minute. I decided to try and kick into a handstand. The moment I finally kicked hard enough to get my weight over my arms my right shoulder popped out of the socket. I popped it back in after I got up. Right shoulder dislocations have been a recurring problem for me since I did it the first time in a fight. Is there any hope for me being able to do this movement or should I abandon overhead pressing movements in general?

Thanks for your advice,

Nic Scheelings

Recurrent dislocations are definitely a problem, I suggest you have this looked at by a professional as if the ligaments are too loose this may need to be surgically corrected. That being said the stronger the muscles are that stabilise the shoulder joint the better, I suggest you work hard on strengthening your rotator cuff (a quick search on the forum will show many different exercises). As well as trap and rhomboid strengthening.

Agree with Demus completely.

First thing is to go get it looked at properly and ideally scanned to identify what exactly the problem is. The most appropriate follow-up might be a course of physio.

But definitely don't give up hope. There are many good exercises that can be practised to develop the various muscles in/around the shoulder. As Demus mentioned, do some research on rotator cuffs. Would also suggest looking at Ido's Shoulder Stabilization routine. Series of nice gentle exercises that you can start at very low intensity and build up over time.

I'll third that. Surgery may be unavoidable in your case but the rehab work getting the rotator cuff and shoulder girdle strong is going to be your bread and butter.

You may have to be patient and really scale things back at first but you can progress.