Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to build Biceps

Walt Peacock

Does anyone have any tips or pointers on exercises to build size and strength in the biceps and triceps? Let me know.

Several things come to mind.

Biceps: Chin-ups, weighted chin ups, l-sit chin ups, weighted l-sit chin ups. Planche progressions with fingers turned backward. XR support holds (anything on XR really will help both biceps and triceps tremendously). Back levers and their prerequisites relly build bicep strength. Bodyweight curls.

Triceps: l-sit static hold. Head/Handstand push ups with elbows in, triangle push-ups, any dip variation really. Front levers mainly focus on core but they build triceps as well. Body weight tricep extensions on XR. But again, almost everything on XR is going to target your biceps and triceps heavily.

There you go. But if i can ask, why are you trying to do exercises only for your arms?

Hope this helps

-Ian

WitnessTheFitness

Pretty much everything on the rings is going to hit your biceps/triceps, but weighted pullups, chinups, dips, and planche are my top choices.

What are planche leans? These sound interesting. Btw, thanks for the responses. I am doing all of these with the WOD's, I guess big arms just aren't in the cards for me.

Start the video at 1:50 to find what planche leans are

very effective. You can also go to far and hurt yourself to be careful

Joshua Naterman

Straight bar curls, seated dumbbell concentration curls, and straight arm work are going to be your best biceps builders. Chin up variations will work them, but that is mostly brachialis and lats doing the work. Pull up and chin up variations help and SHOULD be in your routine, but if you are going for specific biceps work they are not your secret weapon... biceps specific stuff is.

Triceps are a similar story... triceps push ups are great, they are a body weight version of skull crushers AKA french press. Heavy dips and HSPU are also excellent triceps builders.

WitnessTheFitness
What are planche leans? These sound interesting. Btw, thanks for the responses. I am doing all of these with the WOD's, I guess big arms just aren't in the cards for me.

Hypertrophy is in the cards for any healthy individual. There's no secret to it, just consistent training, a proper diet, and time for the body to develop more muscle mass. How long have you been training, how often, and what's your diet like?

Quick Start Test Smith
+ just try planche leans on rings and see where you feel it... :twisted:

So true :D

+ just try planche leans on rings and see where you feel it... :twisted:

That is very correct. Also if you are a beginner, the correct rings turned out support will hit the biceps hard.

Just wanna know though, is it worth hitting the triceps with single-joint movements? Or do they cause too much joint stress? And what will hit the triceps harder, parallel bar dips or ring dips?

My triceps are not at all my strong point and my right triceps is a lot bigger than my left. When you look at physiques like Sandow's and Otto Arco's, their triceps are very impressive. But they mostly concentrated on overhead dumbbell presses and handbalancing.