Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

slightly confused

Ian Legrow

A while back when I had first started trying to set up my own workout, I came on here for some questions. I was having trouble with an exercise (lets say frog stand adv. because i don't remember which one). So I was told if I wanted FSp to be the bulk of my strength work then i should only do 4 or 5 sets. Someone disagreed and said i should do 7 or 8 sets if i could only hold it for 8 seconds.

So, understanding this, my question now becomes, how does one build volume. I thought I understood this concept a little while ago but I realized I really don't. If one plateau's in a specific exercise, how does one build volume to progress further. I have read many threads suggesting to add volume, but I never understood their explanation of volume. Could someone explain it to me please? If there are different ways of doing it for FSP and FBE could someone explain both. BEcause maybe if I learn what it is it will help me get past specific places I am right now

The short and not massively helpful answer; to build volume, train volume.

The longer and somewhat more helpful answer; first need to make sure we're talking about the same thing when we say "volume". Volume of an exercise is either duration (for a hold) or set/reps (for a movement). This is as opposed to say intensity, which would normally refer to the weight.

So; (note that the numbers are an example, YMMV and every one has different goals / capability / time / etc) using your example, if you want to increase the duration of your adv frog stand, you need to practice holding adv frog stand for longer durations! (Clever huh?). The reason you were told if holding for 8 sec, do 7-8 reps, is because the typical goal when working on the FSPs is to reach a 60s hold before moving onto the next progression. Suggested way of doing this along the lines of; it doesn't matter how many reps you need to do, keep going (within reason, don't get injured etc) until you total 60s.

For example; a beginner is able to hold basic frog stand for ~10s. On a day where s/he trains this exercise, they should aim to do 6x10s holds (with Xs rest between each rep). After maybe a week or two of this, they might be able to hold for 15s in one go. Now they move to doing 4x15s holds. Then to 2x30, finally aiming for 1x60. They are now 'ready' to move to the next progression (some may suggest nail 3x60s then move up. No right/wrong here in my opinion). You can keep increasing the numbers to build more volume if you want. You could move up to reps of 1:20, 1:40, 1:60 and so on, while also increasing sets. However, with this kind of duration you're building almost exclusively endurance. While not a bad thing, it's not going to have much benefit on moving to the next progression as the strength demands aren't there any more. (Certainly won't do any harm, and 'benefit' depends on the goal. If the goal is to hold a 5 minute frog stand, keep doing it! If the goal is to planche, move to the next progression).

Tackling a plateau usually involves variation. Some times the body stalls on responding from a particular exercise. This typically happens if you've trained an exercise at the same intensity / volume for a while. Your gains will drop off over time. It's time to vary some thing. Depending on the goal as to what you might do. If you want more endurance, you'd increase the volume (more reps/sets/longer holds). If you want more strength, you'd up the intensity (more weight/slower movement/longer lever).

Plateauing is rarely an issue for beginners/intermediate. If you're doing enough work, eating enough food and sleeping enough hours you'll almost certainly continue to see improvements. The same applies to elites to an extent, but due to the intensity and volume of the training they're at already, it can be harder to find ways to 'improve'. I can't comment on gymnastic elites, but athletes in general will often then look at routine variation (be it a change of program, change in diet, change is exercise composition or whatever).

Hope this helps. Sorry for the essay.

wow. Yes that clarified things much more now! thank you. I was just really confused becasue I thought i knew what volume was then told how wrong i was. But thank you this calarifies a lot for me :)

Joshua Naterman

Plateauing is also usually a result of a weak link. Taking the time to identify possible weak links and then working on them is a good idea.