Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

XR Support Progression - prereqs?

Robert Chapman

Robert Chapman

I am pretty new to GB and working on the FSPs.

A week or so ago I tried adding XR support work to my workout and was able to hold a decent position with RTO for 30 sec for a couple sets.

However I think it is currently too much stress on my elbows and wrists.

I wound up feeling like I needed day(s) off from doing any exercises or FSPs using straight arms or bent wrists (which includes most of the FSP work and HS).

So my question is - when to start working in XR support, and should it be treated like an FSP?

Meaning - start with an easier position and work that for an 8 week SSC?

Any other pre-reqs that should be obtained first?

I definitely realize I should start with an easier position as Coach describes:

In terms of a general support position on the rings, you will progress through the following stages of support strength:

1) Arms bent with the rings turn in

2) Arm straight (elbows completely locked), but the rings are still turned in

3) Arms straight with the thumbs turned outward until the straps are completely clear of the forearms.

4) Arms straight and the thumbs turned with the rings pressed slightly outward from the side of the body.

Thanks.

I have treated it as an FSP and done it with a SSC for 60s. Starting off with a 20s, doing 6 sets of 10s.

I like to have my lil guys be able to do a 60s ring plank before mastering a ring support. Until that time, all they seem to be able to do is short holds. So I let them do both (it's fun) and focus on building the ring plank.

As well, I like going from short straps to medium straps to long straps for ring support but have never done it with ring plank (because a High Bar is roughly 8 feet high and the lowest thing I attached rings to but I could have used the low single rail bars).

Another option I used was doing ring support on rings on my tippy toes.

Another option I used was doing ring support on rings on my tippy toes.

If this is still too much, you can lower the Xtreme Rings and sink into it while maintaining strict ring turn out (RTO) and a straight elbow. Gives the correct feel if you aren't quite to this stage with full body weight. When training rings, I'd always preference no strain to advancing the progression.

Be diligent on your elbow/Wrist Conditioning:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5960

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=61#p270