Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Making The Switch...Need MUCH Help

tyler416

Ok, so here it goes. First of all,thank you all so much for all the information here on the site and to Coach Sommer for all his wisdom. I've been inspired and humbled at everything you guys do/teach...especially that 7 year old that is far more advanced that I'd ever hope to be...haha. Secondly, I'm making the transition from classic strength training in a weight room to fundamental gymnastic strength. The process is a bit scary because I'm not 100% on how to accomplish all my goals. My training regimen is a 6 day a week split, the first half of my week is spent in the gym and the second half doing gymnastic style training. I want to get the most effective gains I can strength-wise so I want to get an actual routine set...and that's where you guys come in. I'll just post my weekly schedule, and from there hopefully you can get an idea of where I need to go.

Monday: Chest/Back/Abs

Superset 4x: Incline Dumbbell Press @ 55lbs w/ Wide Grip Pull up

Superset 3x: Incline DB Fly @ 32.5lbs w/ t-bar row @ 165lbs

Superset 3x: Flat DB press @ 65lbs w/ inverted pike row

Giant Set 3x: PB Dips, Close-grip Overhand Pull ups, overhead DB extension @ 55lbs, and chin ups

Giant Set 3x: 60 sec. L-sit (cumulative over the 3 sets), Hanging leg raises, weighted crunches, floor windshield wipers, lying leg lifts, and swiss ball crunches

Tuesday: Legs

Superset 3x: Romanian Deadlifts @ 135 w/ Back squats @ 135

Superset 3x: Leg Press @ 195 w/ Standing hamstring curl @ 35 per leg

Superset 3x: Leg adductor machine @ 100 w/ Leg Abductor machine @ 110

Superset 3x: 60 sec Wall Sit @ parallel w/ bodyweight hamstring curl negatives

Superset 3x: Deadlifts @ 135 w/ Good mornings @ 45

Superset 3x: 60 sec calf floor hops w/ weighted calf raises @ 45 per leg

Wednesday: Arms/Traps/Abs

15 min handstand wall runs

Giant Set 3x: Military press @ 52.5, straight arm lateral raises @ 15, bent over straight arm raises @ 15, straight arm front raises @ 15, wide grip upright row @ 70

Superset 3x: Skull Crushers @ 70, Barbell Curl @ 70, Shrugs @ 140

Superset 3x: Weighted Dips @ 25, Incline DB curl @ 35, Shrugs @ 140

Superset 3x: Rope Extensions @ 115, Concentration curls @ 30

Superset 3x: Close Grip bench press @ 115, Incline hammer curls @ 35

Thursday: 30 min. Stretch and possible cardio

Friday: Chest/Back/Abs

FSP: FL Tuck, BL Bent leg, Frog Stand,L-Sit, Handstand

FBE: XR Push up, XR flys,XR Pull up,XR Inverted Pull, Hanging Leg raises, Windshield Wipers, V-ups

Saturday: Arms/Legs

FSP: 60 sec dead hang, Handstand

15 min handstand wall run

FBE: HeSPU negatives, XR PPP,XR Dips, Pike Press Leg Lifts, 1 Leg squats

Sunday: Stretch and possible cardio

That's about it. I don't really know where to go from there. I'm stuck in my transition. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to help me out!

Aaron Griffin

I mean this in the nicest way, but your program is all over the place. If you absolutely MUST use your own program, then define your goals first and work towards them - what goals do you have?

Haha, no kidding. Like I said this is a transitional phase.I don't have to use my own program, it's just what I'm comfortable with right now. I believe my immediate goals are to get all of the basic FSP's, muscle-ups, and HSPU's. My long term is manna and iron cross.

Aaron Griffin

I'd personally recommend a killroy70-style plan. Essentially 3-4 workouts, each focusing on a different plane. You have a warmup and joint prep, followed by FSP work, then a push/pull for the day, followed by core and leg work. I end my workouts with some stretches and bridging.

So for instance, workout A would be pushups and rows, workout B would be HSPUs and pullups, workout C would be dips and body curls, and workout D would be multi-plane work (currently using cast/planche wall walks and 360 pulls, myself).

I'd do a different core movement every day. Perhaps rotate through abs (HLRs or ab wheel rollouts are my favorites), obliques (windshield wiper variations), and lower back (reverse leg lifts).

As for legs, focus on pistols, GHRs, and dynamic (jumping) work. I only do pistols here, as I spend one day a week deadlifting

Alright. Thanks a lot. I have just a few last questions :)

1.I stick with whatever level I start off with for about 8 weeks right?

2.How slow do I need to go...through the actual movement I mean? Just to where I don't use any momentum or even slower?

3.Is it too ambitious to do HS Wall Runs on HSPU day? or is that a good idea?

And thanks a lot for your help. I'm brand new to the gymnastics world and as a personal trainer some of it doesn't necessarily a coincide with how I was taught to train, but that's not to say that there's only one way to train. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting some good, solid results!

Aaron Griffin
Alright. Thanks a lot. I have just a few last questions :)

1.I stick with whatever level I start off with for about 8 weeks right?

2.How slow do I need to go...through the actual movement I mean? Just to where I don't use any momentum or even slower?

3.Is it too ambitious to do HS Wall Runs on HSPU day? or is that a good idea?

1. Yeah, pretty much. Find a progression which 3-5 reps is hard, and stick with it for a set amount of time. Personally, I do shorter cycles and deload with endurance work.

2. Good question - I go slow enough to make it challenging. In my head I have a goal of making every movement look casual. Like I could do it in a business suit and look normal. :D

3. Probably. Wall runs are tiring as hell for me. But YMMV

Alright, thanks. BTW Idk if you have ever seen this or not, but this is the routine I'd love to be able to do. This guy could do anything in a business suit.