Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Should a Beginner do??

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

Hi i just started the gymnastic body weight training.Im 23 years old ,5 ft 11 , and around 190 pounds.This is what I do on my 1st week of training.I did this 4 times a week.

Warms ups (60 sec)

planks

side planks

reverse planks

dead hang

XR holds

FSP (10sec x 6)

L sit low

Frog stand

straddle L bent

Day 1

FBE

Chin ups hold n negative

dips

hespu

pull ups hold n negative

hanging leg lift half

Day 2

FBE

XR Push up Bulgarian

Row elevated (bulgarian if feel strong enough)

deck squat or jumping if i had the POWER~~ :lol:

natural leg curls

arch ups / curl ups

reverse leg lift

v tuck

windshield wipers supine

hope u guys can give me some advice to improvise.I also would like to progress to back lever n front lever but couldnt even get to a tuck position :evil: and i try the advanced frog stands but always end ups with my elbows bending...CANT GET IT STRAIGHT ARGGHHH~~ pls give some tips.

By no means am I very "knowledgeable" about gymnastics training, but I do have a bit of understanding on what they use. I also have been practicing Calisthenics for about 2 years, so take this for all it's worth!

1) I believe the consensus here is to start Planche and Straddle-L work once a solid L-sit has been achieved (3x30 or 1x60, depending on who you ask). I don't see much problem PERSONALLY with people working with the simple frogstand (I did WAAAAY before GB from the book Convict Conditioning), but perhaps doing the Straddle-L work here is a bad idea for now.

2) The amount of time you hold it for should be 50% of your max, for 3-4 sets (I know Coach says for as many sets as it takes, but various people in the forum point out that more sets can be too taxing). The sets should be of a min of 8 secs as well (again, or else they are too hard). So technically speaking, you should usually do FSPs that you can hold for 16 secs of more (at least on the early steps). So, if you can hold your L-sit for 16 secs, I'd start with 2-4x8 secs. If you can hold it for less than 16 secs, I wouldn't use it just yet (a variation with legs below parallel would be more appropriate)

3) Make sure you can hit 3x60 on all of the pre-requisites in your warm-up before you only use them as a warm-up. Working them hard apparently will help a lot with the more difficult exercises, so their value goes far :D

4) As far as the routine goes, the consensus seems to be using 1 push and 1 pull move per workout day (instead of having 2 or more). Again, you can definitely do it your way, but I've found (personally speaking) that picking one variation and working it hard to be more effective. So you could have Pull-ups negatives (switching grip every set?) coupled with, say, Dips.

5) I feel the second day has too much core work. If you're fine with it, then cool. Just note that it was something I noticed.

6) As far as the Adv. Frogstand and Tuck Fl, I recommend you forget about this and work hard on the prerequisites, core, and push-pull. For 2 years, I only focused on stuff such as Hanging Leg Raises, One-arm Push-ups, One-arm Chin-ups. Even though I've NEVER done any Planche/Front Lever work, I can do a Tuck for the former and an Adv. tuck for the latter one, no problem! If you concentrate on the pre-requisites and L-sit work, it should take you far less than 2 years. My point is that working with other stuff will have tremendous carry-over. Handstand work should help as well (so you could start thinking about adding that as well, as a FSP).

You could work the straddle-L work right now. It'll be good for your hip flexors and hips. Straddle-L work doesn't really shine until you have a decent L but it'll be good for your hips.

Working the frogstand right now is a good balance exercise and good way to start building up the wrists. When I wasn't able to really work on tuck planche I used the frogstand work just as work for my wrists and focused on upper body and core strength besides ring strength and still incorporating some Planche Lean work.

I'm not against you working 2 upper body FBE. If you find after 2 or 3 weeks it's too much, work on in that 70-90% range and another in a 50-70% range. If you're a beginner, the dips should be in the higher range and the HSPU variant in the lower range (if it's using the box or wall hespu for instance).

Also 305, notice his day 2 only does 1 horizontal push and pull, so it's lighter in design which more than likely makes it doable. Horizontal pushing and pulling doesn't get taxing so much until you're not using your feet (tuck planche pushups and FL rows).

Doing a lot of core work isn't such a bad thing since your Day 2 is lighter in design. Gymnasts tend to do a lot of core work anyways. A LOT, especially girls.

Also 305, notice his day 2 only does 1 horizontal push and pull, so it's lighter in design which more than likely makes it doable. Horizontal pushing and pulling doesn't get taxing so much until you're not using your feet (tuck planche pushups and FL rows).

Doing a lot of core work isn't such a bad thing since your Day 2 is lighter in design. Gymnasts tend to do a lot of core work anyways. A LOT, especially girls.

All right. I understand. I was just pointing out some of the rule of thumbs that I've seen around. :D

Moreover, the idea of having more core work and less push-pull sounds like something interesting to try out some day :P

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

thanks both of you tips..It helps a lot,really appreciate it.im getting a bit confused by what should i do as a beginner and yea..thanks a lot 305 and Blair :D